External tweaks for Nuforce

mmakshak

Re: External tweaks for Nuforce
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2007, 02:51 pm »
  Magnan was right about hard surfaces making the sound hard(at least, in my case, with the feet defeated).  On my 4 inch teak, I put small isonodes, then myrtle blocks, and then my 8.5 amp.  I only had enough for one amp, but it was enough for me to order some to do the other amp.  The advantage to trying this is cost.  It's very cheap(I get my myrtle on Audiogon.).

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2007, 03:51 pm »
You can also get the Audience Adept response.  It is proven to work well in one of our NY Audio Raves (March mini-rave).  

It is a $2500 upgrade though.

You can purchase the single outlet version for $495.  One for each monoblock, or connect a decent power strip and plug in both.

mcgruder

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:14 am »
Hi, this is my first post here on the Nuforce forum, or AudioCircle actually.  I owned Ref 9.02 for just over a year.  I really thought they were good amps, but went ahead and sprung for the SE upgrade about 3 months ago.  I think these are pretty excellent amps out of the box, but they take some work to achieve what they are capable of.  :scratch:

I've tried a number of tweaks with some considerable success.  IME, Nuforce Ref 9 SE's will benefit from heavy guage power chords that have a good shielded design, and copper interconnects also implementing good RFI rejection shielding.  Helix and braided designs in the $500 or less category never cut it for me.  Unshielded silver doesn't work right either (though I still like them on sources).  I also think laying a sheet of ERS cloth across the rear of the amps, hanging over the cabling interfaces is helpful. 

The chords are easily the most important factor in exposing the potential of these amps - I'm using Ear to Ear "black" power cables (ordinary hospital grade Marinco connectors), Cardas Gold Reference XLR's, and Cardas bi-wired Neutral Reference speaker cables.  I've auditioned different brands and models on each, and this combination is working pretty well in my system.  I feel these are the items that most contribute to significant improvement in resolution, lower noise background, smoothness, and more natural sounding tone and timbre. 

I've used different isolation and coupling techniques (BDR cones, Vibrapods, Jenga wood blocks, 1 inch maple platform), without any conclusive sonic improvement.  Currently my amps rest on Herbies mini Iso-cups (no balls) for the best practice of reducing vibration, but I don't think this is a great contribution to better sound.  I've also placed ordinary hockey pucks on top of the amps for added vibration dampening without any real audible effect.

The response in my system to the shielded power chords and IC's interfacing with the Nuforce monos leads me to believe that, like many audio components, the handling of EMF/RFI emissions is critical to achieve refined levels of performance.  It also probably means that V2 is a very worthwhile upgrade, from the SE level especially. 

My amps are currently plugged directly into the wall, unprotected.  Plugging them into a Monster HTS-5100 MKII has a negative impact on dynamics that you can hear after listening to 1 or 2 tracks on a CD.  I heard that the Shunyata Hydra PC's provide the surge protection, do not limit current, and contribute to better sound without harming dynamics.  I'll be receiving the Shunyata Hydra 6 any day now, which I plan to use exclusively for the mono amps initially.  I'll continue to use the Monster on sources and preamp (BAT VK-31SE) in initial evaluations.  I'll be sure to share the results after some extensive listening.

On a side note, why isn't there more feedback from the guys that upgraded to V2?!?

Ken

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2007, 07:18 am »
On a side note, why isn't there more feedback from the guys that upgraded to V2?!?

There are only a very limited number of V2 out there but more are coming. We have more than 10 major distributors worldwide to support, each of them ordered about 60 V2 boards in the past 7 weeks and oops, we have to go through a mad rush to ship 600 V2 boards.  And that was the upgrade for mostly dealers.  We are now seeing a second wave of upgrade orders and these are for customers.

We are also insisting that reviewers go through two rounds of comparison: 9V2 versus 9SE  and then 9V2 versus 9V2SE. That will take up two months including shipping time.

Hey, compare to the money that you guys are spending on the "accessories" and tweaks, the V2 upgrade is very cheap  :drool:

eosdigic

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jun 2007, 11:28 am »

Hey, compare to the money that you guys are spending on the "accessories" and tweaks, the V2 upgrade is very cheap  :drool:

Agree. Upgrade cost is cheaper than any of my cables.  :icon_lol:

I just got my Ref9 V2. I bought 9.02 just for weight reduction. 9.02 sounds good, worth its price, not not so impressed while comparing to 2nd hand hi-end power amps (similiar price to new 9.02s). But now I'm very satisfied with this upgrade.

YGLim

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jul 2007, 02:18 pm »
I have just got 2 pieces of AudioPrism Wave Guide and attached them to the powercord connecting to my Ref9.02SE and I have to say the changes are really dramatic .... well according to my ears...Everything is clearer and more detailed. I am still trying to come to terms to what i am hearing at the moment  :wink: :wink:

I am surprised that no one made any mention about this tweak. I wonder if there is anyone has tried them yet.

My setup is as follows:
Nuforce P8 pream
Nuforce Ref9.02SE
C.E.C. TL 1 CD transport
North Star Model 192 - DAC & upsampler 24/192
Fremont Escalante

I am thinking about changing my pream to valves or tube...and really looking at Modwright. Anyone has this combination and what is your opinion.....

Thanks