FIOS ROCKS!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
FIOS ROCKS!!
« on: 8 Mar 2006, 02:22 pm »
Just had FIOS installed at my new house and man is it fast!

Ran some download tests and the average was around 14,500kbps when wired to the router and around 4,600kbps when going wireless (yes, it really drops off).

Either way that is way faster than DSL or Cable.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2006, 04:39 pm »
Quote from: fabaudio
Quote from: zybar
Just had FIOS installed at my new house and man is it fast!

Ran some download tests and the average was around 14,500kbps when wired to the router and around 4,600kbps when going wireless (yes, it really drops off).

Either way that is way faster than DSL or Cable.

George

I've been hesitating whether or not to upgrade from DSL to FIOS. I'm wondering whether the cheaper option would be worth the extra bucks or maybe I shouldn't be such a cheapskate and go for the 44 bucks/ month option. :?

Spend the $45/month and get up to 15,000kbps download speeds.

This was the same price as my previous cable modem from Suscom where I saw speeds around 1-2,000kbps.

To me it is a no-brainer if it is available in your area.

George

TomS

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2006, 04:48 pm »
I've had it (15 mbit) here in Fort Wayne since December and it's terrific.  It replaced Comcast just in time, since I couldn't stand dealing with them and began to have repeated outages which up until then were quite rare.  With two teenagers, a wife who has a home-based consulting business, my occasional work via VPN from home, and two Squeezeboxes tuned to various internet stations, we're definitely getting our money's worth.

Marbles

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2006, 05:46 pm »
FIOS ROCKS!!!

I too changed from Comcast cable a few weeks ago.

I had the wired version of Comcast to my computer and everyone else (4 other computers) in the house was wireless with 11b.

I had my wifes computer wired to the FIOS wireless router  (11G) and put a wireless 11G internal PCI card in mine.  I'm getting 15KB download speeds and 2KB uploads.  That's going wireless.

It is noticeably faster than comcast cable modem and I have had no glitches at all.

I'm very happy with FIOS so far and glad I made the switch.

chadh

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2006, 08:34 pm »
In order to get FiOS internet, am I obliged to have a phone service operational on the line too?

Can you get phone/internet/TV packages via FiOS?

I recently went to a digital phone package that only comes over the cable (Packet 8 ), and so had to switch from DSL to Roadrunner.  I have no love for TWC.  But at least I think I get a bit of a break on the price by bundling the internet and TV service.  Are the same opportunities available with FiOS?  I'd hate to be looking at $40/month for internet connection plus $40/month for basic phone service plus $40/month for basic TV service.

Chad

Marbles

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2006, 10:30 pm »
Quote from: chadh
In order to get FiOS internet, am I obliged to have a phone service operational on the line too?

Can you get phone/internet/TV packages via FiOS?

I recently went to a digital phone package that only comes over the cable (Packet 8 ), and so had to switch from DSL to Roadrunner.  I have no love for TWC.  But at least I think I get a bit of a break on the price by bundling the internet and TV service.  Are the same opportunities available with FiOS?  I'd hate to be looking at $40/month for internet conn ...

If you have verizon phone service, they will put your phone on it and give you a 4 hour battery back up free.  If you don't have verizon phone service, they can't make you get it.  I have it...

You can get phone/Internet/TV in certain parts of the country, these are reputed to be all in for about $99 per month.

In Fort Wayne, IN it will be January 07 before we will get the TV part.

Parts of Long Island New York got TV today...

chadh

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2006, 10:33 pm »
Thanks Marbles!

Chad

BobM

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2006, 12:41 pm »
We're one of the few communities where we can get FIOS internet, FIOS phone and FIOS TV (Massapequa Park). There was a big lawsuit against the town by Cablevision (we won). I guess Cable doesn't like anyone cutting into their monopoly.

Anyway, FIOS internet is at least twice as fast as DSL down, and way faster uploading. I have the 5/2 service.

We opted to keep our copper phone line, since we have an alarm system that needs it. That was a bit of a billing problem with Verizon. but I like the idea of the phone still working if there is a blackout too. No battery pack to go dry if you have one old fashioned wired phone somewhere int he house.

FIOS TV is pretty good. I only get occasional digital artifacts, and the channel selection is very good. Especially the movie package - way more movies than Direct TV (my old service) or Cablevision. My only complaint is the service panel on the side of the house is pretty huge. I'm sure it will shrink with future iterations of the service. Oh yeah, the installation takes a complete day, so be prepared if you're becoming a customer.

Enjoy,
Bob

TomS

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2006, 03:30 pm »
We've had one outage since December, though it was a major one.  Since they are one in the same service (no copper), it took out both the phones and internet access.  Using a cell phone (Verizon) I called the main Verizon service number.  After a half hour of wading through prompts and waiting for a service agent, she told me I had to call the FIOS help number.  I called them and waited about 30 minutes again and finally got a techie sort on the phone, not a customer service person.  I talked to him (chalking up cell minutes now at about an hour and a half) long enough to discover there was a general outage in the Ft. Wayne area, when my cell battery died so I was totally cut off (not always a bad thing).  Eventually about 4 hours later service was restored and everything recycled itself back on.  If you have a choice (I didn't), I'd suggest keeping the copper phone for awhile instead of voip until they settle it down.  I have the 15mbps download service and it is rocket fast and generally very stable.  I consider this outage to be teething pains, so despite what I said above I'd still take FOIS over Comcast Cable any day and can't wait for the TV service offering to get here.

ctviggen

FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:40 pm »
I pay $120/month for "extended cable" (i.e., normal cable plus a bunch of other crap channels, but does have OLN, which I require for bicycling races) and cable internet.  If I drop the "extended" portion of the cable, I lose about $8/month, but they raise my cable internet $5/month (to around $60/month).  I'd give anything to be able to get DSL (not available yet, or ever) or any other service, if only to have some choice.  Currently, I have no choice.  (Can't get satellite, either.)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
FIOS ROCKS!!
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2006, 03:09 pm »
I just signed up for FIOS.  15/2 internet, FIOSTV with 1HD/DVR and 1 standard box, 1 premium and regional sports package (replacing Direct TV), regular phone service with Verizon (unlimited local and long distance) replacing AT&T which had provided the DSL and phone service.  All for $148.70 before taxes. Even after 20 or 30 for all those crazy taxes, I save $50 and get HD and faster Internet.   Oh, and the first month is free as well as installation which includes a wireless router.    8)