The Flaming Lips: At War with the Mystics

sts9fan

« on: 7 Mar 2006, 08:48 pm »
Has anyone else heard this album?? I think it is a wonderful effort by an amazing band. I like the fact that they are moving more towards "Clouds Taste Metallic" then "Yoshimi"

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2006, 08:34 pm »
Geez, I missed this.  When was it released?  I'll have to see if they released a vinyl version.

Michael

Tweaker

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2006, 09:50 pm »
My wife and I just caught them on Austin City Limits when we were channel surfing. You'll have to forgive me. I'm 51 years old and it was my first exposure to them. We were watching in disbelief at what we were seeing and hearing. Giant balloons all over the place, people dressed in animals costumes like you'd see on a children's show dancing around the stage shining these big flashlights around. The guitarist and bassist had on one piece fuzzy... things. During one song the lead singer put on a hand puppet that looked like a nun. He explained later that when he  sings songs that were about depressing subjects like war that he wanted to offset the tone of the song by using a puppet out of concern that the song would be too much of  a downer otherwise. They did a cover of Black Sabbaths War Pigs and he poured fake blood on his forehead before the song started. It was like Black Sabbath meets the Teletubbies with all of the balloons and dancing animal characters.  The crowd was fairly diverse looking and very enthusiastic. It was quite surreal. We watched the whole thing. It kind of grew on us after a bit. I won't be running out to buy any of their albums but watching them was strangely entertaining. :o
They were followed by The Shins, another band I'd not heard of. We liked them a lot and it was cool to see their lead guitarist playing a Guild S-100 identical to mine. I purchased it used 30 years ago and have never seen another one untill now. He gets a great tone out of it.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2006, 11:03 pm »
I didn't know it had been released either, I need to pay better attention! I'm interested to see how I like it , because I've been much more a fan of Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, and to some extent Zaireeka than the earlier Lips stuff.

Either way, it's wonderful to see a band that isn't just absolute crap get mention in some of the press and wide release in stores.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2006, 12:40 am »
Quote from: fiveoclockfriday
I didn't know it had been released either, I need to pay better attention!
One way to know whats out ....if you don't mind a once a week email...sign up for the New Release Newsletter..........from ....All Music . com....... 8)