Target curves

PLMONROE

Re: Target curves
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2007, 07:03 pm »
Here's a great article written for the Behringer and had been posted by someone using a Tact:  http://www.prijsindex.net/tmp/room%20acoustics%20and%20eq.html

It doesn't matter which dsp you're using as the information in this article is very valueable and helpful. 

Can someone help me understand a seeming contradiction in this article, please?

On page seven, pargraph six the author says "Apply a similar slope (0.5db per slider/ 1.5db per octave from 2Khz upwards, meaning -0.5db @ 2.5Khz and then on to -5db @ 20Khz."

Yet on page nine in the first sentence he says "Boost the range between 8Khz and 16Khz uniformly by 2db with 1db in the adjacent bands (6.3Khz and 20Khz."

Am I missing something or does he mean to superimpose the second set of corrections over the first. I'm confused!  :scratch:

Paul

Tweaker

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2007, 07:46 pm »
You are superimposing the second set of curves after the applying the initial roll-off.
You're right, though, it does get hard to sort out at first.
I personally don't like the effect and have hand tuned the high frequencies in my system so that 20kHz is down only 3dB  and then just tweaked a bit here and there until it sounded good to my ears. Maybe it's because I'm a little older and my high frequency hearing has suffered a little. :(. I used recordings with well recorded cymbals. If you can get the high frequencies dialed in so that cymbals sound "right" you've accomplished a lot. Takes some patience.
 I've stopped using the auto eq function as it only gets you vaguely in the ball park. To really get an accurate curve dialed in you have to do it by hand using the mike and pink noise function, and the DEQ and PEQ together. Good luck! It's well worth the effort.

Val

« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2007, 03:26 pm »
Any target curve has to also take into account the particular speaker you're using. For example, rolling off the suggested amount on my already polite Sapphire XLs' tweeters would result in a very unsatisfying treble response. The same for a largish diameter tweeter like an Esotar in a big room; the opposite for a brightish high-midrange/treble like some B&Ws, etc.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2007, 03:47 pm by Val »

PLMONROE

« Reply #23 on: 19 Aug 2007, 07:20 pm »
So basically all these fancy target curves are kind'a worthless? What about the recommended BNC dip (or whatever it was called) at 6.3Khz?  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Paul

Val

« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2007, 08:56 pm »
So basically all these fancy target curves are kind'a worthless? What about the recommended BNC dip (or whatever it was called)?
Just take it with a grain of salt and experiment. The BBC dip in the presence region (3 to 5kHz) is sometimes used to balance a flat off-axis rollof that results in a bright room sound, or to make a too forward-sounding speaker sound more laid-back and with more perception of depth. For example, this review shows a big dip in the presence region. As the reviewer writes, this could result in the perception of a bright treble range.

Tweaker

« Reply #25 on: 19 Aug 2007, 09:03 pm »
Any target curve has to also take into account the particular speaker you're using. For example, rolling off the suggested amount on my already polite Sapphire XLs' tweeters would result in a very unsatisfying treble response. The same for a largish diameter tweeter like an Esotar in a big room; the opposite for a brightish high-midrange/treble like some B&Ws, etc.

When you are eq'ing a speaker with the pink noise and mic you are measuring the response and if it is already naturally, as you say "polite" in the treble then there will be less correction that will be required to achieve the -6dB point (maybe none at all if it is really polite), or whatever you're shooting for. If a tweeter is hot then more eq will need to be applied. The results will be the same no matter what which is the point of eq'ing. You're trying to achieve some sort of desired uniform response. My present speakers require very little eq to achieve my -3dB @ 20kHz target. My previous speakers required a huge amount of attenuation to achieve the same result. Those suckers really were bright!
PLMONROE: The target curves are far from worthless and if you are willing to spend the time to get one locked in, and then perhaps tweaked to taste, you will transform the performance of your system. It is amazing what just a 1dB change at a specific frequency can make. If you don't have your system eq'd you can have the best and most expensive system in the world but not be coming even close to realizing it's potential. Many will say the same about room treatments and that is also true.
 And I would never even consider trying to integrate a subwoofer into a system without the ability to eq it.
 The BBC dip is a matter of personal taste. I've tried it and I really prefer the sound without it. I thought it took a little presence away.  But that is the cool thing about eq'ing is you can tweak to personal taste like seasoning your food with a bit extra salt. There's no rules that say you can't deviate from neutral.

PLMONROE

« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:29 pm »
Thanks guys. I appreciate your insights.

Paul