Headphone Jack on RIPPER?

hagtech

« on: 6 Mar 2006, 09:29 pm »
Should I toss in a headphone jack to the RIPPER?  That would be a BUGLE2 (ac supply & super-regs) mated to a USB chip that has an ADC.  The idea is to make a next generation phonostage that also has the ability to rip to hard drive.

And if I do add a headphone output, can I use a 3.5mm size jack rather than a 1/4"?

jh :?:

analog97

« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2006, 11:45 pm »
Great!  I put this on my wish list, sans phono stage a while back.  I really would like to burn some LP's.  For me, I only need the AD conversion and some appropriate inputs/outputs.  Could the RIPPER have an input from my Clarinet/Cornet2 to by-pass the (presumably lesser) phonostage?

analog97

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2006, 05:25 pm »
Please post a better description of The Ripper, including size, chassis and expected availability.  Thanks.

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2006, 07:26 pm »
I guess this has only been mentioned in my blog.  Along with seven other projects.  The RIPPER started out as a BUGLE2.  Made me a proto (sold in garage sale) that turned out fabulous.  The idea was to update the acclaimed and popular BUGLE with a built-in ac supply.  So I pushed it and added in the super regulators from the HAGCLOCK.  It sounded really good.  But then I felt it needed to go further.  The idea was to keep cost super low, yet offer high performance and features.

So I am now adding circuitry from HAGUSB.  Only a different USB chip that also has an onboard 16-bit ADC.  Why make just a phonostage (like the hundreds already on the market) when you can push the envelope and make a recording tool?  So now I've added a HAGCLOCK to improve on the HAGUSB section, the BUGLE stage feeds into the ADC, which outputs directly to USB.  The machine also performs the function of HAGUSB with an optional S/PDIF output, or you can use the built-in DAC.  Oh yeah, did I also mention it acts as a standalone phonostage?  Added super regulator to the USB chip's analog section.  Added a relay to auto-select output (analog or digital).  Now I am thinking to add a headphone output too, which can make for a nice personal way to listen to vinyl.

Anyway, the main function is to rip vinyl to hard drive or CD.  All in one low cost little box.  I am not holding back on performance, though.  The half-kit will probably be similar to a BUGLE PRO, in that you get the blank circuit board and two chassis panels already cut and screened.  Box is only 5 x 5 x 2.  Circuit board will be packed tight.

It'll be a killer product.  Retail around $399 or so (assembled).  Fun and easy kit to build.  Need to finish off the COMPRESSOR and FRYBABY before I can commit more time, though.  Probably have this ready summertime.

jh

Dusty Chalk

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2006, 01:51 am »
If you're going to do it, do it right -- make sure it's a good headphone amp.  If it's going to be an afterthought, then don't bother -- MHO.  And yes, you can most certainly make it a 3.5mm -- most headphones other than the most top-end ones come with a 3.5mm jack and a 1/4" adapter.  I think I've owned exactly two headphones that came with a 1/4" jack.

Orson Garnsey

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2006, 06:06 pm »
You can count me on the list of people who will buy this product! I've been looking for a quality ADC to "RIP" vinyl to my computer. I use my computer for redbook playback via Foobar and Flac and find the setup to be very good.

Reminds me of the "old days" when I recorded my LPs to reel to reel tape instead of wearing them out through excessive play.

analog97

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2006, 12:17 pm »
I would still ask the same question as before, i.e. can the RIPPER accept another phono preamp input.  If not, I still would like to pre-order one.  I have also built a Bugle, but a Super Bugle does sound very nice.  Count me in.  What kind of software will a PC require to manage these WAV files??

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2006, 06:31 pm »
can the RIPPER accept another phono preamp input

Debating it.  Working the KISS concept, so not sure if I want to have an auxiliary input.  I know some would want it, for recording from tuner or another source.  Nice feature, but it doesn't seem to want to integrate nicely in either the box or circuit.  One of those kharma/synergy things.  

What kind of software will a PC require

I'm still looking into that one.  A previous thread asked this question.  There are a number of free or cheap programs that can do the recording.  Even convert to wav, mp3, or other formats.  For example, the old Disney lps I got with kid songs are gonna go straight to mp3.  They want to sing along.  Not everything has to be hi-fi.  

Anyway, once I get a RIPPER up and running, will try out some of these programs.  They will be listed on the site, links to downloads, etc.  It seems as straightforward as I had hoped.

BradJudy

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2006, 11:34 pm »
If you're going to give free recording apps a try, make sure you check out Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) which is arguably the best freeware audio recording/editing app.  I have it installed on my notebook, along with Adobe Audition and while it certainly doesn't have all of Audition's capabilities, it's plenty for most users.  

Of course, I think there are some apps out there more specifically designed for ripping LPs that might be better for such a targeted purpose.

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2006, 06:37 pm »
Jim,
I too am interested... I think I asked you about making something like this a while back.. so, I'm very happy to see it happening.

I want to use this as a phono preamp that outputs a digital signal after going through the RIAA and preamplification of the Bugle.

There is a B&K phono preamp that outputs digital as well at $600... so, at $400 plus the USB connectivity, I think you're very competitive. :)

However, I don't care about converting albums to files.  I only want to use my turntable with a TacT setup, which is all digital until final amplification.  

So, can this device just act as a stand-alone digital phono preamp?  In that application, will it perform (at least) as good as the original Bugle?

Thanks,
Carl

hagtech

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2006, 08:37 pm »
So, can this device just act as a stand-alone digital phono preamp?

Well, it will output USB digital audio packets.  I'm not familiar with the tact amplifier.

jh

Carlman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2006, 02:49 pm »
Quote from: hagtech
So, can this device just act as a stand-alone digital phono preamp?

Well, it will output USB digital audio packets.  I'm not familiar with the tact amplifier.

jh

The TacT is essentially a DAC for this discussion/application.  So, in that case, I will clarify my question...

I was aksing; is there a SPDIF coax output?  If so, is the digital output performed after RIAA equalization and preamplifcation? (my guess is yes)  

I do not plan to use the USB, just the coax SPDIF output directly to the DAC.

Thanks,
Carl

hagtech

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2006, 06:12 pm »
I'm thinking of an optional s/pdif output.  So in a way (I haven't confirmed this yet), it should spit out a digital signal while playing an LP.  It does this by recording to USB, and then playing back USB at same time (tape monitor loop).  Theoretically then, while recording you get the dac outputs for rca jacks and the s/pdif, which can connect to a separate dac.

jh

Bwanagreg

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2006, 02:01 am »
Sign me up! The HAGUSB is a great product, and I've been planning the return of my vinyl system. This is a great idea Jim.

Skip Pack

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2006, 06:57 pm »
just a note to say I'm very interested here. I built a Bugle about 4-5
years ago, and have been very happy with it. Recently, I've been using
a Squeezebox and like the combination of convenience and decent
sound it offers. Time to digitize some vinyl. Do you plan to handle
resolutions higher than 44k/24. I expect that cleaning up the worst
pops and ticks might be easier if the rise time is faster.

thanks,

Skip

hagtech

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2006, 03:18 am »
The RIPPER will be only 44.1k 16 bit.  So straight redbook.  This is mainly a limitation of the Texas Instruments USB chips and the operating system drivers for Windows and Mac.  

Higher bit depths or rates require a custom solution - well beyond what I can afford to develop (time = money).  There are several pro audio companies doing this (Edirol, M-Audio, etc.) because of the demand for 24/96 in studios.  Of course, word has it that the drivers are sometimes buggy and have compatibility issues.  This wasn't a road I wanted to go down.  

So the RIPPER is positioned to deliver CD-quality recording to the home audio system.  It is for ripping vinyl to CD or to hard drive, where it can be saved as WAV, FLAC, or compressed MP3, AAC.  Actually, I don't expect a lot of people to make audio CDs from their LPs.  After all, for archive purposes, the vinyl is superior.  Most users will rip to memory for playback in iTunes or Foobar.  Then again, CDs work great in the car.

jh :)

mcspack

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2006, 05:03 am »
Hey Jim,

Would love to see this product, Will it be powered via usb as well? also can it act as a stand alone headphone amp for both the computer/riaa cnnection and also an aux imput just for the headphone section?

thanks,

MC

hagtech

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2006, 06:45 am »
You will see this product.  I have most of it designed, just need to formalized a schematic in CAD and start the layout.  I don't see any problems to it should be out some time this summer.  For sure I will have them for sale at RMAF06 (yeah, decided to get a room).

It will NOT be powered by USB, except partially for the USB circuit.  I take the USB 5V line and run it through a separate super regulator for the USB chip only.  All other circuits run off ac line -> tranny -> super regs of +/-10V.    RIPPER can run as standalone phonostage.  

I'll probably add the headphone output that gets same signal as RCA jacks out on back.  They auto-select between DAC and phono.

jh