System in hibernation....sigh....

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
« on: 6 Mar 2006, 09:13 pm »
I am planning on moving and am getting the current house ready to list. The idea of complete strangers tromping through my hi-fi room fills me with dread.

So I boxed the whole thing up last night. It took 2 hours (I save the original packing, and had to package up all the tubes and stuff too). It will sit until the new house is ready...in six months :cry:  :bawl: . We will be in a small apartment once the house sells and until the new house is done; no room to properly set it up. I am hoping to have the new house wired properly (dedicated AC lines to the listening room).

Sigh. I was just breaking in Wayne's new Ultimate PS.

Any ideas on how to survive the long wait?  I have an Ipod but it's not the same.

Anyone else had this dilemna?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2006, 09:20 pm »
Dave,

Why don't you let me break in the ultimate PS for you?  I will make sure it gets completely broken in.  :mrgreen: I will pay for shipping both ways insured.  I got Double Ugly's unit coming in for audition and I have a feeling I may like it.  What do you say?  :P  :P  :P

BobRex

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2006, 09:57 pm »
Yep, been there!  When I sold my house last year, the realtor suggested I remove the system.  There were a couple of reasons - 1) tube amps on floor make bad noises when kids run into them   :evil:  and 2) speakers on stands in the middle of the room have ZERO non audiophile WAF.  

I ended up trearing the system down and storing it in the basement for over three months.

I feel for you, just keep repeating "Temporary inconvenience, Permanent improvement!"

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2006, 01:04 am »
Quote from: woodsyi
Dave,

Why don't you let me break in the ultimate PS for you?  I will make sure it gets completely broken in.  :mrgreen: I will pay for shipping both ways insured.  I got Double Ugly's unit coming in for audition and I have a feeling I may like it.  What do you say?  :P  :P  :P

Probably a tempting offer. But...a local friend of mine has a system to die for (VAC monoblocks, Joseph Audio Pearls) and I am dying to hear the SB3 on his system, so I think I will park it at his house.  Plus, I promised one of the local dealers that I would bring it in for show and tell.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: System in hibernation....sigh....
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2006, 01:37 am »
Quote from: davehg
I am planning on moving and am getting the current house ready to list. The idea of complete strangers tromping through my hi-fi room fills me with dread.

So I boxed the whole thing up last night. It took 2 hours (I save the original packing, and had to package up all the tubes and stuff too). It will sit until the new house is ready...in six months :cry:  :bawl: . We will be in a small apartment once the house sells and until the new house is done; no room to properly set it up. I am hoping to have the ...

I left my system in place up till a few days before the movers showed up.  

I wasn't too concerned about people seeing the system or walking through the room.  Since the room was clean and in better order, it was actually not an issue.

As for waiting six months...that just stinks!

George

seraph321

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2006, 04:17 pm »
How about you park the whole system at a friend's place? I currently have my Gallo Ref3s, along with all my other high-end components setup at a friend's house while I figure out my living situtation.

I travel so much for work that I'm not home much to enjoy it anyway. I'm looking to get a corporate apartment, but in the mean time my friend enjoys the system all week and I get visitation rights on the weekends!  :D

[/i]

miklorsmith

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2006, 04:33 pm »
How about picking up a pair of Baby Advents for about $50?  Any ole little amp will power them terrifically, and with your Ipod as source, I think you'll be surprised at the sound.  This is what I use for my "traveling system" and it gets lots of comments like "that sounds better than my home system" - not THAT high of a bar.   :D

You could also use your SB as source.

This rig will fit in ANY room and if you have to move the Advents around for whatever reason, no biggie.

Actually, the Baby Advents for that price, used, are one of the Great Values in all of hi-fi.

Dave, the bass traps are great.  It's a subtle effect, but most effective.  Nice work.

Jon L

Re: System in hibernation....sigh....
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2006, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: davehg

So I boxed the whole thing up last night. It took 2 hours (I save the original packing, and had to package up all the tubes and stuff too). It will sit until the new house is ready...in six months :cry:  :bawl: . We will be in a small apartment once the house sells and until the new house is done; no room to properly set it up. I am hoping to have the ...

This happened to me a couple years back, and I got through it by using AKG K1000 "earspeakers" powered by one SS amp, fed by mass-market DVD player.  Sounded amazing..

K1000 has been discontinued, unfortunately and more expensive to buy, but you could try other great headphones like AKG K701, Sennheiser HD600/650, Grado RS-1/PS-1/HP1/2, etc.

Brad

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2006, 05:24 pm »
Get a nice tube headphone amp for the iPod and a decent set of phones.

Not the real thing, but should help in the interim.