couple b60 related questions

2 channel man

« on: 6 Mar 2006, 06:03 am »
Hi folks I recently purchased a B60 (used) and I have a couple questions
 (1) I have a set of Sennheiser 540 reference headphones which I have
owned for years , my B60 can barely run them with the volume set at
1 o'clock the Sennheiesers are very very low in output. I know this isn't a
problem with the Sennheiser's as they work fine with other gear I have on hand .  
(2)   I thought I read in some review of the B60 that the power
led on the front also doubled as a clip indicator and turned red upon clipping mine certainly does not
I just had the new Jamiroquai well into clipping for a few seconds on two seperate trys and no led change in colour.
 Did I imagine I had read this? .  I'm still looking for new speakers
so far I like those new Energy Reference Connisseur Rc30 and Rc50

julian

« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2006, 08:23 am »
I read that review too, somewhere on the web, can't remember where. The LED indicates mute and un-muted on my B60 - in agreement with the Bryston manual.

Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2006, 03:12 pm »
(1)
As far as I know the B60 uses the preampflifier section to drive the headphones while other companies use a seperate ampflification circuit in their gear.
Perhaps this is the reason for the "weak" B60 headphone output.

(2)
The B60 does not show clipping!
The LED is only for "Mute", "Turn On" or if something else goes wrong!
I've asked the same question one or two years ago, and I think Chris Russel answered it.

gaderson

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2006, 12:30 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix
(1)
As far as I know the B60 uses the preampflifier section to drive the headphones while other companies use a seperate ampflification circuit in their gear.
Perhaps this is the reason for the "weak" B60 headphone output.

I use a BP-25 with my HD580 Senns, and have no problems driving them, but, I'd say the volume is at around 12 o'clock.  I would think this is a similar design.  But, with less efficient headphones you will need more power.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2006, 03:43 pm »
HEADPHONE OUTPUT:It is recommended that you use headphones with an impedance of greater than 50 ohms for optimal performance.

james

elcaptain88

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2006, 04:28 pm »
I owned a B60 for a while and what you describe is normal. I used Grado's & Senn HD600's - with the Grado's the volume averaged around 10 o'clock; with the Senn's aound 12-1 o'clock. The led will switch to red when the phones are plugged in to indicate the muting circuit is engaged.

I listen to headphones about 50% of the time & was never that impressed with the B60's headphone output.

Mike Pickett

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2006, 04:10 pm »
Hi All;

Just a quick note.  As of around 4 or 5 years ago, (can't remember when, exactly, and I'm at home),  we did add a clipping indicator to the B60.  On these units, the LED will turn red when either amp clips.  However, I don't recommend cranking up your system to see if you have the clipping indicator, as the B60 is perfectly capable of wrecking your speakers under hard clipping.

Also, it's important to note that while the B60 has the same reasonably low output impedance with which to drive headphones, it has only half the gain of a BP25.  When you combine this with low impedance headphones, you definitely have to turn it up quite a bit to get a reasonable level.  That said, you can drive as little as 10 Ohms without adding any measurable distortion to the signal; you just won't have any level.

Later,

Mike

julian

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2006, 05:40 pm »
Mike

Does that mean that all B60s since then have the clipping indicator or was it limited to those made 4 or 5 years ago? By the way I think it's a great amp, certainly the best pre-amp I've ever owned.

Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2006, 09:51 pm »
Quote from: Mike Pickett
....the B60 is perfectly capable of wrecking your speakers under hard clipping.

Indeed, my B60 "successfully" destroyed one of my Fostex tweeters...while playing the Titanic Soundtrack at (insane) high volume... :-)

The B60 clips suddenly and without mercy...so be careful...

Mike Pickett

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2006, 10:51 pm »
Hi Julian;

Yes, all the B60's since then have included the clipping indicator.

Thanks,

Mike