MartinLogan Vantage speakers and NuForce Ref 9.02's?

ricks584

Am thinking of purchasing ML Vantages to go with my Reference 9's.  Anyone have any experience with NuForce and MartinLogan speakers?  Thanks.

jimmyp58

« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2006, 01:47 am »
One of my customers has the ML Summits but I don't think he's tried the Ref. 9's on them yet.  Perhaps he'll chime in...

jewishamerprince

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2006, 09:57 am »
Hi there.

I'll give you some feedback next week.  My Summits were made before December 15th and need a modification to have the Ref 9s trigger the ML high voltage power supply.  

Based on my experience with the Summit and Ref9 I see no reason why the Ref9 should'nt marry up well with the Vantage. The most important thing about the newer MLs is that the power needs to be very clean, and stable. The Ref9 is a great candidate on both of those counts.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2006, 10:01 am »
We have another customer who wrote us an emotional and touching email about how for the very first time he heard his ML Summit really shine (after he upgraded the subwoofer). He went on to say he had heard many other amps in his life time etc and glad to have found Nuforce.

Oh well, we will see if more ML Summit owners share the same experiencee.

ricks584

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2006, 02:28 pm »
Damn; now you guys have me thinking about acquiring the Summits! :P

jewishamerprince

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2006, 04:37 am »
Quote from: ricks584
Damn; now you guys have me thinking about acquiring the Summits! :P

No need to unless your room is over 2000 cu ft. The vantage and Summit perform similarly in smaller rooms.  In a large room such as my 7000 cu ft you would need the summit to create good SPL levels.

ricks584

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2006, 06:13 am »
jewis-
That's not what an ML dealer told me two days ago.

jewishamerprince

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2006, 11:59 am »
Quote from: ricks584
jewis-
That's not what an ML dealer told me two days ago.

I'm not an ML dealer just a Summit owner who has listened to both. If I were an ML dealer it would be in my financial best intrests to upsell you to the Summit.

nickspicks

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2006, 12:50 pm »
that was the problem w/my ML (sl3).  I could never pressurize the room ..even with monster amps like McCormicks and such.

too bad.  I love the sound of those speakers, but I need to spend 10k to get the performance I want in my living room.

ricks584

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2006, 02:15 am »
Well, today I popped into an ML dealer and bought the Vantages (the dealer was willing to deal a little).  Using them in a smallish room; out of the box they sound great.  
I owned Quad 63 USA Monitors for many years; became totally addicted to them.  But with the ML's I can have volume and bass, along with a great midrange (albeit perhaps not quite the equal of the Quads).  I can have my rock and eat it too!
Jewishamer:  Thanks for your comments; they were helpful to me today when deciding to lay down the green (err, plastic).

Soundbitten

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2006, 03:51 am »
Quote from: nickspicks
that was the problem w/my ML (sl3).  I could never pressurize the room ..even with monster amps like McCormicks and such.

too bad.  I love the sound of those speakers, but I need to spend 10k to get the performance I want in my living room.

My house is like one great open room w/ cathedral ceilings which is where the stereo is located . What do you mean by " pressurize the room " ? Most likely it's something I could never accomplish .

jewishamerprince

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2006, 01:03 pm »
You are very welcome!  Enjoy those VAntages. Give them 70 to 80 hours before comparing them to the Quads....you may be very pleasantly surprised.

cmchism

Any suggestions...
« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2006, 03:49 pm »
I've been looking at the Vantages at my local dealer for a month or so now.  I'm sold on them and trying to figure out the rest of my system.  I've heard great things about the Nuforce 9.02s so I'm planning on using them as well.  Any suggestions as to a good preamp to use?  I'm planning on turning this into a 5.1 system so I'm looking for a well rounded pre that can perform well in stereo as well.  I'm also curious about people's suggestions around wiring the vantages with the Nuforce's.  Is everyone's suggesion to bi-wire?  I'm still trying to learn all the necessary parts to puting together a great system without just handing my checkbook over to some sales guy!!!  Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

ricks584

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2006, 12:55 am »
No need to biwire.  If you already have biwired cables, then you can use them.  But you won't/shouldn't get any performance increases by spending more on biwired cable.
Download the Vantage (or Summit) pdf manual from ML's website; it discusses this briefly.