Jack Johnson - Curious George

arthurs

« on: 5 Mar 2006, 03:38 am »
If you enjoy Jack Johnson at all, and even if you haven't yet, this is a terrific disc.

Great music, a pretty positive message, a terrific recording, very cool stuff....for kids, maybe, but for audiophiles too..... :)

csc

« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2006, 04:28 am »
I'm total agreement.

My kids saw the movie and asked me to get the disc.  I liked Jack Johnson's previous CDs, so I picked it up.  The kids love it, and I like it too...that doesn't happen often!

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2006, 04:33 am »
yeah, my  6 year old spent 45 minutes in my lap today listening in my room, clapping and singing....awesome stuff......

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2006, 12:22 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I'm sure we will see the movie and I'm sure we will get the cd.

rhyno

JJ
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2006, 01:40 pm »
FWIW, the curious george record is JJ's worst record of the 4 he has in circulation (not an indictment of the curious disc, just props to his other work which is quite exceptional).

if you want a good crossover kids / adult disc, take a look at jerry garcia / david grisman's "not for kids only" or nillson's "the point". awesome stuff...

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2006, 05:45 pm »
I really do not care for the song made for the movie, the one on the radio all the freaking time.

meilankev

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2006, 06:28 pm »
I really like this guy also.  One of my friends suggested that I might like them, and they were right.  I got a couple of his releases on vinyl, and when he is at his best, he's almost like  Jewel.  Well, okay, he's not as good as Jewel, but he's really good.

Kevin

Andrew JC

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2006, 10:14 pm »
Which of his past albums to you guys recommend?

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2006, 10:41 pm »
I also admit to not liking this disc the first time I listened, but it's starting to grow on me.  :D
Still, my fav JJ disc is In Between Dreams.
http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2006, 10:57 pm »
Quote from: Andrew JC
Which of his past albums to you guys recommend?

In between Dreams, which I guess means the daytime :?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2006, 11:53 pm »
I'll probably have to check it out, too.  I have all his other albums, but oddly the only one I really care for is On and On.  So many people recommended Brushfire Fairytales to me that I bought it last year, but it doesn't do much for me.  The newest one, In Between Dreams isn't bad, really, but it doesn't move me as much as his previous stuff.  My brother summed it up best when he said it sounded like some suit at the record company told him he needed more instruments on the record.  As a result the elegant simplicity of his music is lost, and instead of unique campfire ditties we get mundane pop music.  JMOHO of course.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2006, 11:57 pm »
His best stuff is acoustical.

Andrew JC

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2006, 12:05 am »
Thank you all for the replies! I saw the movie with my son; I enjoyed the soundtrack much more than the movie.