Sea Mail

stvnharr

Sea Mail
« on: 1 Mar 2006, 10:51 pm »
What's the longest anyone here has had to wait for sea mail from the US?  The USPS website says 4-6 weeks.  And I believed them.  But do they really mean months instead of weeks?
I mailed myself 3 packages in December, whilst in the States.  One arrived 2 weeks ago, the middle one mailed.  Others are "somewhere".
Just curious of other's experiences.

freo

sea mail
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2006, 11:41 pm »
I had a parcel go to Austria first, it took about 10 weeks to get here, but it was worth the wait
Regards Roger

JohnR

Sea Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2006, 05:53 am »
Hmm.... I don't actually remember how long my packages took, but I don't think too much more than 6 weeks. Hope yours arrive soon...!

stvnharr

Sea Mail
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2006, 10:47 pm »
Yesterday a package showed up here.  It was the first package mailed, on December 15.  That leaves one more somewhere on the high seas or mail cart.  Given that they were all mailed during the Christmas rush, I guess the 4-6 weeks scenario is non operative.  Hopefully the last package will arrive sometime this month!

Seano

Sea Mail
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2006, 04:58 am »
I've had stuff from Welborne Labs in the US take two weeks and six weeks to deliver....

...then I've also had stuff take one day to two weeks to make the journey from RedEye records in Sydney to regional Victoria.

Variety is the spice of life is it not?

stvnharr

Sea Mail
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2006, 11:09 pm »
The third and last package arrived yesterday.  That makes 3 months total from beginning to end.  Ah, but they all came, and just when I was starting to give up hope.  Sea mail is a lot cheaper and if time is not an issue, is okay.  Just allow twice the time as stated, and don't worry too much.

JohnR

Sea Mail
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2006, 07:38 am »
That is kinda slow! Glad they arrived safely though. I hope they are full of neat audio toys! :thumb:

stvnharr

Sea Mail
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2006, 11:05 pm »
I think that in December I hit the Christmas rush and slowdown.  Maybe other times of the year are quicker.

jules

Sea Mail
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2006, 11:27 pm »
Steve,

you might have been caught up in the change over to our "new improved" customs computer system. There was certainly a bank up of containers that threatened all sorts of business activity. Of course I'd be paranoid to think that lesser items of international trade could have been given a lower priority at a time like that.

I have neither the nerve nor the patience to wait for more than a month for my goodies but I've never had any trouble using USPS from the US while I did have s***load of silly charges [eg remote area charge] added when I used UPS for a small consignment. The cost was $180 as against $30 that it would have cost using USPS. Now that we have a free trade agreement with the US, duties etc don't add up to much.

jules