AKSA 55 power on and adjust initial bias question

ultrachrome

« on: 17 May 2003, 04:59 am »
Measuring voltages in your AKSA are you supposed to measure AC or DC?

I measured mine the other day and nearly fainted when I got 0V.  I left it alone until I tried it today and by accident set my DMM to AC and all of the sudden everything is reading a little high but good.  I couldn't find where the instructions specified DC or AC.

I also found out why my readings are high.  I'm working under a flourescent lamp.  Turned that off and my readings looked much better.

So it's VAC right?

PJ

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2003, 05:21 am »
I completed my 100W AKSA a few months ago, I assume the 55W would be similar.

The only AC measurement you do is to check you have picked the correct transformer secondary windings.

Almost all the measurements you do are bias measurements etc.

These are DC.

What exactly are you measuring?

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2003, 05:33 am »
Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

Ultrachrome,

The only significant readings for your AKSA are all measured in DC, just as Peter says.  You want to know:

1.  The DC voltage on the output spades of the power supply pcb.  These spades are connected to wires and thence to the modules.  On the 100W AKSA they are nominally +/-49V, with a maximum no higher than 52V, and on the 55W AKSA they are nominally +/-36V, not exceeding 39V.

2.  The voltage between the emitters of the output devices.  This is 55mV on both amplifiers, and is measured across the two outer devices on the 100W AKSA.  The reading across the two inner devices on this amplifier should be within 8mV of this reading.

3.  The offset voltage at the output with respect to ground on both amplifiers.  This is an arbitrary figure, but should not exceed 30mV, plus or minus (it can be either;  only the magnitude is important.)  If the offset is negative, you can reduce it by INCREASING the value of R3, which feeds the diff pair.  If the offset is positive, you can reduce it by DECREASING the value of R3.  A typical offset of 30mV will be reduced to close to 0mV with a 3K3 increase or decrease of R3.

There are other voltages of note on the AKSAs, but if the offset is correct, and the bias is correct, then you have a perfectly functional amplifier.  It is worth knowing that ANY circuit fault will affect one or both of these readings, no exceptions.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,

Hugh

ultrachrome

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2003, 05:58 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.  Turns out I failed to remove the varnish from the transformer leads and I had no power at all.

After fixing that, everything measures correctly.

Thanks.