Ripping unrecognized discs

DSK

« on: 28 Feb 2006, 07:50 am »
In ripping 255 CD's with EAC, approx 10 had 'sync errors'. After cleaning and retrying, approx 5 still had sync errors. No signs of scratches, just poor pressings I guess.

However, more puzzling is that I have one CD that is not recognised on the several PC's I have tried it on. Regardless of software used (EAC, Windows Media Player etc), when the CD is inserted the drive tries to read it for a little while then simply gives up ....no error messages. I have scanned the CD insert and there is no mention of copy protection schemes or that it may not be able to be read on a PC. It always plays fine on my hifi CD player.

Anyone else struck this? Is there a way around this or is it copy protection of some sort?

The CD is 'Josh Groban' by Josh Groban. Manufactured and distributed by Warner Music Australia, 2001. CD number 9362481542, 143/Reprise.

chadh

« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2006, 01:00 pm »
I'm not going to be much help - but I've had two similar experiences, and they both seemed to relate to the format in which the music was stored.  

My copy of the Rolling Stones' "Let it Bleed" is (to my surprise) in SACD (and a bunch of other funky formats).  It wasn't recognised on one of my drives (the DVD drive), but showed up without a problem on the CDRW drive.

I also got a MP3CD of the original BBC4 "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" which none of my music related programs seems to recognise.

Chad