musical surroundings phenomena phonostage

Rocket

« on: 27 Feb 2006, 03:49 am »
Hi Guys,

I am currently bidding on ebay for musical surroundings phenomena phonostage and at this stage i have bid $400au for the unit.  I know how much they sell for in the states but its a lot more expensive for gear in oz.

Has anyone listened to this phonostage?  I'm after better quality than the graham slee or musical fidelity phonostages.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Rod

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2006, 02:56 am »
Hey Rocket,

I was just thumbing thru old posts here and saw yours.

Since your post I bought a Phenomena and battery supply, as well (used). It was 'okay' - a bit better than running straight into my very decent phono stage of my Dynaco PAS-4 - but not heads and tails better.

I just had Revelation Audio Labs cook up a custom umbilical replacing the cheapie that it came with, and I have to say it was a large leap upward.  It's quieter, fuller and just sounds more right...however vague that sounds. I find myself drawn to vinyl a bit closer now.

I had experienced the benefit of an RAL umbilical with my MSB Gold Link III and Power Supply - I don't think it quite equalled that addition - but it is quite remarkable in it's own right.

So, my thinking is that it's okay phono stage, but you can perhaps beat it for the money.  If you add the bps, it improves...but adding a RAL custom umbilical takes it to a level that perhaps can equal even the mega-bucks gear out there.  It's probably all I will ever need...and it's so good that I think I can toodle arond with low output MC's in the future and perhaps derive some more sonic pleasure in doing so  :)

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2006, 04:14 am »
Hi TheChairGuy,

I lost the bid on the phenomena phonostage.  I subsequently bought a classic cornet from jim for a good price.  I haven't used it at this stage as i use a denon dl103 low output cartridge and i either need to buy a step up transformer or a new cartridge.

Money is a little low at this stage and i think i will install a cheapy AT mm cartridge i have lying around.

Regards

Rod

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2006, 06:38 pm »
Hey Rod/Rocket,

I had forgotten, subsequent to your post on Musical Surroundings, you started this post:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27690

Denon makes a step up that can be found as low as $110.00 here in places....and I think it's expressly suited to the 103 series (with their slightly higher 0.3 mv output than the more expensive models in that line).

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2006, 02:10 am »
Hi TheChairGuy,

I'm concerned how the denon step up will sound with the cornet.  I'm strapped for cash at the moment and i will wait until i have more money to purchase something better.

Regards

Rod

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2006, 03:41 am »
Rod,

A place here in the US (Audiocubes2.com) sells them for $109.00...they get them right from Japan.

Good reviews on it....should be even cheaper to ship to you in Oz. I've bought from them - quality outfit.

http://www.audiocubes2.com/product_reviews/brand/Denon/product/Denon_AU-300LC_MC_Cartridge_Boosting_Trance.html

John / TCG  :)