Cables: Relationships of Measurements to Sound

aggielaw

« on: 26 Feb 2006, 11:07 pm »
For nearly 10 years I've been reading on the web about whether cables "matter" or "sound different."  The debate seems to have subsided on many forums over the last few years, but there is still a core group of individuals- most of whom have either worked in the industry or have degrees and/or worked in the pertinent science - who claim cables sound the same and/or don't "make a difference."

As much as I'd like to believe those who ought to know, experience tells me every cable sounds different.  In the last year I've tried 6 different speaker cables in my system and they all sound different.  So I know cables sound different from each other. (Yes, I've actually tried a blindfolded test where a buddy switches or pretends to switch the cables, and I can hear a difference, although I like different cables for difference genres of music, which is really frustrating.)  I cannot necessarily name the cable that's in the system when blindfolded, but I do hear the differences.  (Shameless plug: I'm trying to sell several of them both here and at a'gon!)

Over at audioholics there are some cable measurement tests.  They indicate cheap zip cord is as good or better measure-wise than many "high end" cables.  So I'm curious, what exactly does inductance sound like in a cable?  I can guess resistance causes less detail to come through - although I'm not sure that's really the case - but what do inductance, capacitance, skin effect, and other phenomena cable manufacturers talk about really do to the sound of a cable?

Here's another question: what is it about cables like Kimber 8TC and Nordost Red Dawn that make the vocals and lead guitars stand WAY out from the rest of the music?  The 8TC wasn't as bad about this in my system as the Nordost, and I even kinda liked that trait in the 8TC, but I could hear some"grain" for want of a better term in the mids and highs that is steering me away from it.

Thanks for your thoughts, all.

Howard

jneutron

« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2006, 06:20 pm »
So I'm curious, what exactly does inductance sound like in a cable? I can guess resistance causes less detail to come through - although I'm not sure that's really the case - but what do inductance, capacitance, skin effect, and other phenomena cable manufacturers talk about really do to the sound of a cable?

You will find that the bulk of the manu's are unable to answer your question accurately because they do not know.  Guesses, however, are rampant.

Cheers, John

testing: &#8730  &#955 &#937 &#960 &#963 &#969 &#948 &#8721

testing Z = &#8730 (<sup>L</sup>/<sub>C</sub>)

Very odd.  symbols worked first time, now no good.. :?:

jneutron

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2006, 06:34 pm »
&#8730
&#8730
Z = &#8730 (L/C)

Z=&#8730 (<sup>L</sup>/<sub>C</sub>)

Hmmm..after 3 edits, symbols crash, html seems not to work..

Yuck

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2006, 06:45 pm »
Nobody knows how to correlate the technical data to subjective performance.  

If you look at experts in the field (Earl Geddes) they have done the statistical blind testing to support that there is no repeatable preference among test groups.   Different individuals within a statistical pool MAY be able to pick out differences or preference though.  

My personal experience is that by doing blind changes in cables I can get a test group to reliably prefer one over the other with one type of program material.   Change the recording and the preference may or may not continue.    Change the system/room and the preferences are out the door.  

Due to the variability of the results it is next to impossible for me to give people reliable recommendations for cables based upon subjective experience.    It is literally a tool where you have to experiment within the confines of your own system and come to your own conclusions.   For some people there is little or no audible difference.   For others they hear huge differences.

My personal preference is to use well designed and built pro audio cables that I have good experience with.   Both from the standpoint of subjective preferences, engineering (measurements of capacitance, inductance etc..) and the physical build quality.    I spend my time tuning my system with other parameters though.   The room/loudspeaker interface has much more of an impact on my subjective impressions so now days I use what I know are good cables and tune loudspeakers & rooms rather than swapping cables.  

Just my $0.02

andyr

Re: Cables: Relationships of Measurements to Sound
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2006, 10:52 am »
Quote from: aggielaw
... So I'm curious, what exactly does inductance sound like in a cable? I can guess resistance causes less detail to come through - although I'm not sure that's really the case - but what do inductance, capacitance, skin effect, and other phenomena cable manufacturers talk about really do to the sound of a cable?  ...
Hi aggielaw,

My understanding (from reading many articles and from the experiments I've done ... I'm not an EE) is as follows:

*  the effects of R, C & L depend on whether you are talking about ICs or speaker cables.

*  the dielectric used on the metal wire is also important.  A "bad" dielectric stores energy and then releases it, causing time-smear.

*  whether the wire is stranded or solid-core also affects the sound.  I only use solid-core.

*  the metal used also makes cables sound different - although there semms to be some contention as to whether Ag is "better" than Cu!!  :-))  There is NO contention that tinned Cu sounds bad.

*  the thickness of the wire is important.  However, if you use very thin wire (for ICs) it is important to stop this from moving.  I have heard a loss of base when 30g wires are used without being constrained against movement.

*  the configuration of the wire is important only in that this affects R, L & C.

*  for an IC, L & R are almost irrelevant, because of the infinitesimal currents.  C is very important ... too high C can load the output stage of a pre-amp which causes it to lose treble or even go into oscillation.

*  for a speaker cable, R, L & C are all important.  A speaker cable carries high current ... high L in the speaker cable inhibits the flow of this current.  Too-high R in a speaker cable prevents the amplifier from exterting the ideal level of control over the driver - which loses "punch".  Too-high C, while not directly affecting the signal, may cause the power amplifier to go into self-destructive oscillation.

Regards,

Andy

Dan Banquer

Cables
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2006, 03:28 pm »
"for a speaker cable, R, L & C are all important. A speaker cable carries high current ... high L in the speaker cable inhibits the flow of this current. Too-high R in a speaker cable prevents the amplifier from exterting the ideal level of control over the driver - which loses "punch". Too-high C, while not directly affecting the signal, may cause the power amplifier to go into self-destructive oscillation."

How do we define 'high current"
                     d.b.