Thanks to Danny and the amp manufacturers!

brj

« on: 26 Feb 2006, 06:39 pm »
I posted this at the end of the previous thread, but thought that it deserved highlighting on its own...

First, I'd really like to thank Danny for hosting! We had a good time, and Danny's approach took some real work. Thanks for making the effort and taking the time, Danny!

Second, I'd really like to thank all of the manufacturers that chose to send their amps. Sending amps to an event such as this is really rather a risky proposition for a manufacturer. They aren't just sending an amp out on a demo tour where people are going to compare it to their current amp - they are sending it off knowing that it is going to be compared to several other amps, including those that play at entirely different price levels. Offering to send their amps to such an event really displays great confidence in their products and should be applauded.

For reference, there were amps that people tended to prefer (sometimes for a specific type of music, which I found surprising), but there were no bad amps. Many audiophiles tend to get rather emphatic in their comments, often expousing the absolute superiority of a given component based on differences so small that they cause any normal person look at us like we were nuts. No manufacturer sent gear to this event that could be called low-fi or mid-fi gear. In addition, it should be mentioned that some amps were prototypes, some were the basic version of an amp that also has a premium version, and a wide range of product pricing was in evidence. Please keep all of this in mind when reading any ensuing discussion, and continue to support those manufacturers whose generosity made this event possible in the first place - not to mention our general insanity in pursuing this hobby!

Finally, a quick thank you to everyone that showed up, especially those that did the driving (thanks Art!). Many people drove in from a couple of hours away, and we had one visitor from Chicago! I have a new appreciation for Danny, who usually drives gear down to our Dallas-Fort Worth based get-togethers at the drop of a hat. We had a lot of fun, and I look forward to similar events in the future!

Gooch

« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2006, 04:01 pm »
What manufacturers where there?