SB3 volume control - digital vs. analog

mr_bill

« on: 25 Feb 2006, 07:56 pm »
I have a SB3 and love it.
I use it digitally into a Benchmark Dac1 which feeds a Bel Canto Pre2 and then into my Rowland M501's.  I realy like internet radio, which is pretty good on the higher bit rate stations and deosn't have any noise like FM!

I'm just starting to play with the CD computer transport idea.

I've thought about stripping down my system and eliminating the preamp and possibly the Dac1 (which I'd only do if I had the SB3 analog modified).

Modded SB3 to Rowlands
or SB3 to Dac1 to Rowlands

My question is on the volume performance of the SB3.
This unit has both digital and analog volume controls whihc can be adjusted or disabled in the player setup.

What's the experience out there?  Is one of these volume controls superior or conversely is one crappy?

This would help guide with my decisions!

Thanks,
Bill

mcgsxr

« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2006, 09:36 pm »
mr_bill - are you asking if the volume through the digital output is good vs the volume through the RCA's?

I have used the stock SB3 in two configs - one was out the digital coax feeding my old DAC (a Bolder Mensa), and then on to an integrated amp.  The other config was using the SB3 analog outputs, directly to drive a gainclone amp I have.

I liked the sound of the stock SB3 enough to sell off my DAC, and a pre I had, and a few other cables etc.

I have had my SB3 fully modded, and intend to use it out the analog RCA's going forward.

Now, I have never had the chance to try the SB3 out the digital coax, into a DAC, and THEN direct to an amp, leveraging the digital volume control, but I have seen others suggest that this is not the best approach.

From what I gathered during my research, folks using the analog outs are using them directly to feed a power amp, and folks using the digital outs, are feeding a DAC, and then to a pre, then onto an amp.

Just one guy's experience and thoughts,

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2006, 10:57 pm »
Those are very good thoughts and comments!

I thought I read somewhere that using the digital volume control was not a good option, but want to further explore this.

Wadia players have a digital volume control that works verry very well, but that may be a totally different implementation.