RAW HT-1 Mini Review

Zero

RAW HT-1 Mini Review
« on: 25 Feb 2006, 05:40 am »
*Please note - this is not a professional review. I have not proof read anything so I apologize for grammatical and possible spelling errors - I simply wanted to share my experiences and impressions of Al's HT-1's*

As many here at the circles know, the HT-1 is a compact mini monitor that represents the entry point into Al Wooley’s HT line. Being no different from the bigger offerings in this series, the HT-1 sports the Aurum Cantus ribbon tweet and an XBL^2 driver from Adire Audio. These speakers were meant to work as surrounds with a complete “HT” system or as a budget compact loudspeaker for a small room.

Build Quality / Cosmetics

First, I would like to state that the models I own do not feature the Sonicap upgrade, which Al informed me supposed to improve the dynamics of the mid-range by a slight degree. The general specifications of the HT-1 can be found on RAW acoustics website (www.rawacoustics.com).

I was pleasantly surprised by the fine craftsmanship of this entry level player. Between the expertly applied maple veneer and the surprising heft of these very diminutive speakers – I was reminded that these were not your traditional run of the mill made in China speakers. Nope – just good ole Canadian craftsmanship!

Sound

I tried the HT-1’s on electronics ranging from an entry level Harman Kardon receiver  to Classe Delta separates. No matter the electronics, the tone of the HT-1 remained the same; fast, smooth, holographic, with an incredibly ‘black’ sound-stage. The only competition I could put these against were more expensive speakers from the likes of Revel *M22*, Dynaudio *Focus 110*, and Spendor *3/5 SE*. Indeed, the HT-1’s ribbon tweeter was quite different from the domes found in the other bookshelves. All the same, I actually felt the Aurum Cantus tweeter was not out-classed in any way shape or form! This brings me to my favorite part about the speaker;

The highs. Incredibly fast – holographic – great timber, detail while remaining completely smooth. Open, rich, harmonically engaging.. need I go on with all that audiophile mumbo jumbo? The HT-1 had some of the best high-end response I have heard from a compact monitor in the sub 1k range!

The Mid-range maintained excellent presence with vocals, brass, and acoustics. The over-all tone was on the warm side and while the over-all voicing presented a fuller sound – it lacked a lot of punch that only a big driver in a larger cab can accomplish.

Given this speakers small size, it is not surprising that the bass response is going to be the major caveat of this design. The transition between the bass and lower mid-range was actually very coherent and well done. While the lower registers within the 80hz tune limit was very stout and strong – the bass was over-all slow and limited. This is definitely a speaker that will need the help of a high quality sub.

So how do they sound when cranked? Well, that will depend on the music you play. The HT-1’s seem to be perfectly fine with country, low scale classical (piano), blues, folk, light jazz and even classic rock. This is one of the few speakers that I find sounds equally as good at either low volumes, or high volumes. Just the same, I found this speaker was not at home when being asked to push more bass/mid range intensive music from genres of hard rock, electronica, r&b, and rap.

When fed a high quality amplifier, you will be treated to that wonderful 3d sound-stage that the ribbon tweeter provides! Many speakers are voiced to take you to the front row of a performance, but the HT-1 is voiced more to where you are about in the 10th-15th row of a performance.. given you a whole different insight into a performance. Just the same, the HT-1 managed to throw a very convincing sound-stage with very precise vocal and instrument placement.

Complaints

When considering what it is you get for $720, there are not too many complaints that can be made without bordering on ultra critical. All the while, I have to say that the HT-1 is an incredibly demanding speaker when it comes to amplification. I have owned a few speakers in the 85db efficient range, and never have I come across one that demands so much current.

Advice

Despite the HT-1’s incredibly compact size, this speaker is not comfortable being placed near a wall. You will need at least 1.5ft of clearance on either side or else that Adire driver will start to sound like a boom-box. A solution I found that maintains most of the integrity of the bass while keeping things more position friendly is to simply plug one port and keep the other one free. Al also offers the HT-1, sealed, for the ultimate solution for such case scenario’s.

As mentioned earlier, you are going to need a capable amplifier to drive these speakers. I would say 80-100 wpc in a decent SS (Rotel, B&K, Odyssey) amp would be a minimum.

These speakers do not require massive toe in, but as always, it is suggested you experiment around in your listening area to find what you like best. I enjoyed the performance best when there was slight toe-in towards my listening position.

Conclusions

I really enjoyed my time with the RAW HT-1. Make no mistake about it, the highs on this speaker mean serious business and can compete with some major players out there on the market, and in my opinion, surpass them on many levels. For $720 USD, you are getting a compact monitor with some real high-end performance. All you need to do is to add a sub and you have a true high-tone system that would be perfect for a smaller, to mid sized room!  

Equipment used;

Harman Kardon 3475 stereo receiver
Rotel 1070 amp
Rotel 1072 cd player
Rotel 1070 pre amp
Krell KAV 280p pre amp
Krell KAV 2250 amp
Classe cp-500 pre amp
Classe ca-5200 amp
Classe cp-102 cd player

RAW

RAW HT-1 Mini Review
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2006, 07:20 pm »
That is a very welcome review. 8)

Yes as noted the HT1 was designed for a small mini monitor as well as surround for theater use.

Tuning the drivers lower does nothing but bring on a excursion issue with the driver and we perfer the tuning of 80hz for the HT1 or a sealed cabinet.

More control in the low end as well as midrange.

Along with Sonicaps on the midrange bring out a little more depth.

Thanks again for the review well done.