Question for Kevin

roymail

• Roy in TX
Question for Kevin
« on: 24 Feb 2006, 06:21 pm »
Kevin,

Does Danish Audio (DacT) still make and sell the enclosure they had several years ago?  Dimensions were approx 12" wide, 3' tall, 8" deep.  I ask since it's not shown on your website.  They use to sell these for about $99.  Thanks!

-- Roy

Kevin Haskins

Question for Kevin
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2006, 07:06 pm »
Actually on my 2004 price sheet (out of date) they are $176.20.

I've never sold even one.   The price is too high for most DIYers.    There is a real issue in DIY audio with very few nice enclosures available.   I never really understood why until I tried to sell enclosures.

DIYers in general are very price conscious.   In addition, it is a small market and the amount of tech support & sales support for items is much higher than it is for a finished product.   All those things work against anyone actually being interested in developing products for the DIY enclosure market.    I had $5000-$7000 tied up in enclosures for 20-24 months at one point that I had to give away at my cost to sell as a DIY enclosure.    When I used them to build amplifiers I sold through them in a couple months.    I'll never do another bare enclosure because it just doesn't make economic sense and it creates a mess of tech support & sales questions via email.

roymail

• Roy in TX
Question for Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2006, 08:54 pm »
Kevin,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Makes sense to me!  A shame though since it's a real nice enclosure.  But at $176.20 ... jeez, I can see why you never sold any of them.  Yes, they are very proud of their products which their prices reflect.  But if my DacT CT2 went south tomorrow, you'd have my order for another one the same day.  The best 24 step passive attenuator I know of hands down.  I appreciate your reply, and congrats on all your new products.

-- Roy

doggie

Question for Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2006, 03:34 am »
Hi Kevin,

Since you no longer carry enclosures I would like to recommend www.par-metal.com to your clients as an excellent choice for a variety of well made, basic, but attractive boxes. Their 20 series is especially nice for DACs, preamps, and amps. A nice box comes in well under $100. They are a bit pokey at filling orders but it is worth the wait.

I have three of them in use and a forth coming to house my new UCD180 modules!

Best,

Paul

Kevin Haskins

Question for Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2006, 02:02 pm »
Quote from: doggie
Hi Kevin,

Since you no longer carry enclosures I would like to recommend www.par-metal.com to your clients as an excellent choice for a variety of well made, basic, but attractive boxes. Their 20 series is especially nice for DACs, preamps, and amps. A nice box comes in well under $100. They are a bit pokey at filling orders but it is worth the wait.

I have three of them in use and a forth coming to house my new UCD180 modules!

Best,

Paul

Yes... Par-Metal is one.    Another a customer pointed out to me that you may want to try:

Aluminum Enclosures

I've not used them but they look like they would be worth a try.   Another approach you can use is the enclosures at Middle Atlantic rack mount boxes.   I've not used one but they look like they would be easy to work with and affordable.

Middle Atlantic 2U Chassis