bi-amping STIIa/R circa 1992?

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« on: 22 Feb 2006, 09:26 pm »
I am trying to biamp the vmps speakers I have, but noticed that the domes and ribbon are on 1 binding post and the woofers and mids on another :o Is this normal, and shouldn't it have been woofers on 1 and mids and tweeters on another, like everyone else? How do I change it with the fact that the crossover components are mounted on the speaker binding posts in this fashion (yikes) as well :?:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2006, 09:46 pm »
Welcome to vmps land.  Yes, that is normal.  Just for clarity, there never was a STII.  Ever.  There was ST/R.  There was Tower II.  There was STIIa/R.  But no STII.  It's already confusing enough, so get clear which model you have before making any more posts.  Picture will tell it all if the model is not on the rear panel.

The particular QSO (series) xo between the bass/mids explains the weird xo split between the mids & treble.  Get used to it because there's no way you can change that without completely destroying the xo & making it into a Frankenstein monster.

Let me by crystal clear: the oem crossover can not physically be split between bass & mid, because they are wired in series.  Going inside the xo & accesing it will produce nothing.

The only way to split it between the bass & mid is to rip out the bass/mid xo & toss it away & engineer a new one.

The switch immensely complicates any & every potential modfication.  I is highly integrated physically & electrically in the midst of all xo components, but it could be removed & tossed.  You could be left with the OEM treble xo, & then only have to engineer a new bass/mid xo.

You could then parallel the system for one amp by using jumpers as VMPS finally changed to a few years ago (I suggested it a couple decades ago).

I swear to you none of this work will produce a result even remotely close to your Herculean effort.  Weeks & months of pulling solder out of your hair is going to produce practically nothing.

Now, if we could only somehow convice brian to put the bass binding posts below the mid-treble posts (is that maybe a little more intuitive?)  And is it asking too much to move the binding posts up one inch to get more room for the cables to attach from below the posts?