What remote control options for this I would have...

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
to use my laptop/usbfreeway with my dac? Thanks

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2006, 07:51 pm »
I use a Snapstream Firefly (usb on the receiver) for remote controlling of foobar2K.

It costs about $50.  It includes the remote.  You must have Win XP.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2006, 08:05 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I use a Snapstream Firefly (usb on the receiver) for remote controlling of foobar2K.

It costs about $50.  It includes the remote.  You must have Win XP.

Excellent.  I should get one.  I am going to use my laptop to check things out.  Have you settled on a PC?

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2006, 08:27 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi

Excellent.  I should get one.  I am going to use my laptop to check things out.  Have you settled on a PC?

Yeah, I got a dual core 2.8mhz, 2 x 512 cache, dual 300 gig Seagate SATA HD's (not mirrored), an ASUS MB, a Zalman rheostat fan control (front of the case) for the case fan and the power supply fan, and a Zalman 9500LED chip fan/heatsink.  Antec Sonata II case.

Geoforce 6200 256M video card

Plextor DVD-RW

On board (ASUS) audio card.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2006, 08:31 pm »
Thanks! Can it be configured to show a similar information window in the PC screen like in a CD player?-like track number time playing etc.. what about fast forward or rewind etc...?

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2006, 08:59 pm »
Quote from: Manolo
Thanks! Can it be configured to show a similar information window in the PC screen like in a CD player?-like track number time playing etc.. what about fast forward or rewind etc...?

If you have ever used Foobar2000, that is the screen you will see.

The remote control has buttons just like a CD players plus others.

You can stop, pause, FF, play next track, play previous track etc...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2006, 09:04 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: woodsyi

Yeah, I got a dual core 2.8mhz, 2 x 512 cache, dual 300 gig Seagate SATA HD's (not mirrored), an ASUS MB, a Zalman rheostat fan control (front of the case) for the case fan and the power supply fan, and a Zalman 9500LED chip fan/heatsink.  Antec Sonata II case.

Geoforce 6200 256M video card

Plextor DVD-RW

On board (ASUS) audio card.

That's a serious PC.  How quiet is it with the Zalman heatsink/fan controller when the disks are spinning?  I am going to try my lap top with WIFI card to see if I can access the music on .WAV files on my NAS box two floors up.  If it works and I like the sound (compared to SB2) I will build a quiet mini PC similar to a Hush or a Cappuccino to use with the off ramp.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2006, 09:20 pm »
It sits about 25' from me and when I turn the fans down, I can't hear it.

It has so much ram that the drives don't seem to spin, or I can't hear them.

Even when I burn CD's to the HD's, the only thing I can hear is the Plextor drive spinning.

fu_man

SB vs USB offramp
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:52 am »
hey woodsyi,
will you keep us posted  regarding  your comparison  between  SB and   offramp?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Re: SB vs USB offramp
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2006, 01:28 pm »
Quote from: fu_man
hey woodsyi,
will you keep us posted  regarding  your comparison  between  SB and   offramp?

Sure,

I will post something in an appropriate circle when I have had enough breaking in and listening to do a comparison.  Steve is building an I2S to be used with my Northstar 192 Dac which he is also modding.  It's a good thing he has my DAC since he had to build a new RJ45 terminated I2S cable due to different pin assignment.  

Bear in mind that I am quite impressed with my fully modified SB2.  I think with modded analog section and PS, it is a great digital front end that rivals most highend units.  My modified digital out with silver Bybee was better than the analog out when fed to my Northstar DAC via S/PDIF, but I just kept thinking it could be better.  I never liked the Sony/Philips interface since it has to multitask all that signal simultaneously -- why I got the I2S Dac to begin with.  So, it just didn't seem right that I will only use the S/PDIF input on this DAC.  This of course led me to Steve and the I2S Off Ramp.  This is a fun hobby.  Isn't it?

fu_man

where there is choice there is misery
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2006, 01:37 pm »
Steve has a fantastic  website.  I had intended to venture into using a comp. as  a music server  starting with  USB freeway.  I bought a  Xindak  DAC that was on sale locally and  was about to buy the USB Freeway when the I2s  option  became available.
I really wanted to go that route  but that would mean reselling the  DAC  before i had even plugged it in.
ultimately i decided to  start bit by bit, and the SB  allowed me to use my existing comp. and no need for  comp/monitor  etc in the listening room.  Steves gear is  so highly recommended I would love to know if i made the right choice.  i thought about getting the USB freeway anyway for comparison.. but  (financial  ) reality hit home.
I'm looking forward to getting my modded SB - but it  sounds like there is going to be  a fair wait.