Hero

lcrim

Hero
« on: 21 Feb 2006, 01:53 am »
This is a very, very good movie.  The best cinematography I have ever seen.  A treat to watch.  It started out as this extremely classy martial arts flick telling a simple tale and suddenly you realize that the tale is extraordinarily rich and has many viewpoints.
Anyways, a beatiful movie and highly recommended.  Do yourself a favor and watch it.  I enjoyed it very much and keep thinking about it.

Soundbitten

Hero
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2006, 02:32 am »
it's not one of those " CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON " films ...is it ?

lcrim

Hero
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2006, 03:06 am »
Soundbitten:
It bears some surface similarities to "Crouching Tiger.."  The martial arts sequences are so far removed from reality that they can be mistaken for cartoons.  However, they are part of the tale's charm and more like poetry and perhaps not to everyone taste.
But no matter, if for no other reason you should see it for the visual beauty, it is stunning to watch.
I thoroughly enjoyed and was moved by the film.

Folsom

Hero
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2006, 03:58 am »
Quote from: Soundbitten
it's not one of those " CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON " films ...is it ?

Yes it is exactly one. However there is a lot less dialog.

I like both movies in question, not enough to buy though.

I suppose if I lived in the city I might be more interested in beautiful scenery.... I would not say the cinimatagraphy was the best I have ever seen. Then again "Lost In Translation" is suppose to have THE BEST cinimatagraphy yet the movie out right sucks.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Hero
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2006, 06:09 am »
You think so?  Lost in Translation is one of the best movies of the last few years, IMOHO.  A true classic.  I'd have given Murray the Oscar for Best Actor if it had been up to me (well, it would've been close between him & Depp).

lcrim

Hero
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2006, 02:49 pm »
I had posted my reactions to "Hero" in an attempt to share with others a very worthwhile movie that was obscure and deserving of more attention.  I had hoped that others might also enjoy it.  My enthusiam for a very good piece of cinema was met with what I can only describe as rudeness.
People are entitled to their opinions and have the right to express them.  I'll admit that at some level "Hero" is an endorsement of Chinese nationalism and that is troubling.  The fact that the film is in a foreign language and employs subtitles that can be a bit stilted is a drawback however slight.  But that isn't what happened.  Pointing out these flaws would be valid.
Others have the right to reject my opinion but show a little class and for God's sake learn to write a cohesive sentence.   Saying that a film as finely crafted as "Lost in Translation" "outright sucks" says more about you than it does about the film.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Hero
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2006, 03:33 pm »
Didn't mean to hijack it, either. :oops:   I really liked Hero, too.  It was better, IMO, than House of Flying Daggers, which I also enjoyed a lot.

Occam

Hero
« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2006, 05:40 pm »
Larry,

I truly enjoyed Hero, IMO, a masterpiece of storytelling as well as cinematography. I also thoght the context, a celebration (prefferable to the previous deification of the first Emporer) of the unification of the Warring States by Chinchi Quanti was interesting. Yes, it was a 'Communist' movie, with that strong message about the benefit of the society over the provincial desires of the individual, but that understanding added to my appreciation, Understanding does not imply agreement.

OT
D.O.S. - Could your reaction to Lost in Translation be an age thing???? You're in college, so I'd think it might be difficult for you to identify with Murry's character. Thats certainly not a criticism of you, just an acknowledgement that you're not an old fart like me.

gitarretyp

Hero
« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2006, 05:59 pm »
Quote from: Occam
D.O.S. - Could your reaction to Lost in Translation be an age thing???? You're in college, so I'd think it might be difficult for you to identify with Murry's character. Thats certainly not a criticism of you, just an acknowledgement that you're not an old fart like me.

I disagree with that comment  :nono:. I'm in college (well, graduate school) and thought it was a great film. I also thought Hero was excellent.

Folsom

Hero
« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2006, 06:24 pm »
I take back what I said... I would own Hero but there are a lot of other movies I would prefer to own first.

Lost In Translation..... The cinimatagraphy was hm not making me excited by any means. The quality of the film was really good but gave me a bit of "Sony Trinitron" computer monitor dark plastic look as well. The actors where good, actually a bit to good in a way. I felt the acting by standards of ability to do things was great, however I also felt like they brought attention to themselves. The film was also pretty boring. You can call that an age thing if you want. I however think emotional connection between the two would of made up for lack of other things in the movie, oh right it was ment too...... I suppose I just found a lack of emotion between the actors, the over acting, killed off the movie for me. I could understand, relate, and apply the general feelings of the characters but there was some thing lost, not there.

As far as identifing with old Murphs character, at this point in time, you have no idea. I only wish I was not so easily able to identify myself with his character. When I say I can it has nothing to do with age, just the contempt and realization of what should, should not be, sexual or loving relationships with another person. The simple act of just being with some one, not for the norms of social interaction is exactly what I face, and face against because most people will take the hey lets try it route. The "hey lets try it route" is most certainly a college persona of younger people. No one has the mind for company while waiting.

I am pretty sure I never saw House of Flying Daggers but I would like to despite the cheesy name.

I like subtitles... I always think it is funny when some ancient time that spoke another language can spit out English like you or me.

A personal vote for really good picture, literally, is "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I have yet to see a better quality in picture movie. I am not saying the cinimatagraphy is any good, just the picture. It did win an award for the amazing quality though. There are only two scenes in the entire movie that are at all questionable. One is at the crossroads where they pick up the black kid, the corn (sky view), at least on DVD players I have watched it with, has a few jaggies. The other part is in the water, it does not look as real as it could.

mjosef

Hero
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2006, 07:08 am »
I liked Hero, it makes a great demo disc too, the sound is excellent...the drops of water, the sound of the old man's playing his stringed instrument, not to mention the sound of the weapons moving through the air...very sharp and clean. And the colors...man, with a good display its a visual heaven.

Ears

Hero
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2006, 06:31 pm »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
I take back what I said... I would own Hero but there are a lot of other movies I would prefer to own first.

Lost In Translation..... The cinimatagraphy was hm not making me excited by any means. The quality of the film was really good but gave me a bit of "Sony Trinitron" computer monitor dark plastic look as well. The actors where good, actually a bit to good in a way. I felt the acting by standards of ability to do things was great, however I also felt like they brought attention to themselves. The fi ...

Brother how art Though is a great movie imo, but the transfer has so much EE its rediculous.
Just look at any scene with the sky in it for examples.

Movie transfers that blow away this one are..
Riddick
Underworld
Sin City.....best transfer yet imo.
Dark City
Pitch Black
Resident Evil SB
Man on Fire
X men 2
I Robot....and I could name hundreds of others, but watch any of these on a truley large screen, and the difference is painfully obvious.

I will be buying the Blu Ray version of Brother though when its released.

Ears

Re: Hero
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2006, 06:34 pm »
Quote from: lcrim
This is a very, very good movie.  The best cinematography I have ever seen.  A treat to watch.  It started out as this extremely classy martial arts flick telling a simple tale and suddenly you realize that the tale is extraordinarily rich and has many viewpoints.
Anyways, a beatiful movie and highly recommended.  Do yourself a favor and watch it.  I enjoyed it very much and keep thinking about it.

I enjoyed this movie as well,own one of the imported versions, and will be buying the Blu Ray version also.

Jon L

Hero
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2006, 06:50 pm »
I would take the trilogy of
"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"
"Hero"
"House of Flying Daggers"

over any three-movie combination of action/drama Hollywood has put out.  

Korean films are another matter, and I can heartily recommend the triple-threat of
"My Sassy Girl (2001)"
"Oldboy"
"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... And Spring (2003)"
for pure entertainment, any time, any where.

dave_c

Hero
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2006, 07:21 pm »
Hero was an excellent movie.  I don't think I had the same chinese nationalism insight that Occam was able to get out of it, but I enjoyed the drama and suspense of the plot.  You got the sense there was an underlying story to the epic being described by Jet Li's character.  Cinematography was excellent, although after you've seen all three you sort of lose the same sense of awe that you got when you first saw "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (if you saw it first anyway).  I think set design doesn't get mentioned enough when discussing this movie and perhaps it is just consfused with cinematography.  In Hero, the design of the Emperor's hall was incredible.  Maybe the bamboo forest in "House of Flying Daggers" is its equal.  Either way, they are all great movies which have many similarities in their presentation and storytelling but have different overall messages.

Also the Korean movies mentioned by Jon L are also great for different reasons.  Although its incredible, I think Old Boy was the craziest movie I've seen.

gitarretyp

Hero
« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2006, 12:31 am »
Quote from: Jon L

Korean films are another matter, and I can heartily recommend the triple-threat of
"My Sassy Girl (2001)"
"Oldboy"
"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... And Spring (2003)"
for pure entertainment, any time, any where.

If you liked oldboy, you might want to check out the other movies by the same director, Chan-wook Park. Also, oldboy is the second in a "vengence trilogy." Parts one and three are sympathy for mr. and mrs. vengence respectively.

Tale of two sisters is another excellent korean film.

mcgsxr

Hero
« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2006, 12:58 am »
"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"
"Hero"
"House of Flying Daggers"

Three of my favourites, good eye lcrim, Hero is a great flick!

Bemopti123

Hero
« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2006, 03:20 am »
Here is a link to an older thread about the same movie....The argument got heated at a point in time...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12467&highlight=hero

BTW, I have almost stopped watching Hollywood flicks in favor of foreign films.

John L, I agree with your assessment of other potential good flicks, especially with

Sassy Girl...that movie got me rolling on the floor without fail...

Some other movies to watch from Korea...

Silmido (2004)
Brotherhood of War, Taeguki (2004)
A moment to remember (2005)
Failan (2001)

and gazillion other titles that leave most overbudgeted Hollywood junkers in the dust.