Introduction

scottnixon

• http://www.scott-nixon.com
Introduction
« on: 2 Jan 2003, 08:16 pm »
A quick intro here:  I'm Scott Nixon, small time audio professional, and recently (last May) began distribution of DacKit, fairly simple inexpensive digital product, via the 'net.  Have 2 regular product lines that have been around a while.  Reference Line Audio (passive pre and class a fet amps) and Anodyne (digital processors and single ended tube amps).  Most of my business is support and upgrades of existing product.  Both product lines are still built, just not alot of promoting on my part.  DacKit products are design for simplicity and performance and low cost.  Kits are for experienced builders, no step by step instuctions, no frills.  Assembled units are available for reasonable sums and have more predictable results.  These offer results far greater than the sum of the parts.  I hope my presence here can help answer questions in regard to DacKit and that persons will be kind/respectful to each other in this forum.  Thanks for your time and space!          

http://home.triad.rr.com/scottnixon/dac.htm

Marbles

Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2003, 08:32 pm »
Welcome Scott.

I tried to find info on your other products besides the DAC kits two days ago.

Will you be updating your website to include these products?

scottnixon

net presence, or lack of
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2003, 10:25 pm »
The Dackit page is on a personal page, without much room left.  In Feb I'm supposed to have a real webhost with more than enough room for newer Dackit page as well as Anodyne and Reference Line stuff.  I'm just slow and old :)

Hantra

Introduction
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2003, 10:51 pm »
Good to see you here man!  

The core guys here are a good bunch of people, and I hope the site continues to grow by leaps and bounds.  All I know is tomorrow, my system will improve by leaps and bounds with the DACKit!!!!  

L8r,

B

Marbles

Re: net presence, or lack of
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2003, 11:29 pm »
snip

audiojerry

Introduction
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2003, 05:25 pm »
Scott, if it hasn't been suggesed to you already, providing a demo unit that can be sampled by members of this forum is a great way to gain exposure and spread the word about your products. As an example, GR Research is providing samples of its Criterion speaker, which is being passed from one auditioner to the next. How would you feel about making one of your dac's available?

Al Garay

Introduction
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2003, 03:22 am »
Other examples of demo units:

Dave Ellis, Ellis 1801 speakers
John Chapman, Bent Audio TX102 pre-amps

I was planning on buying a ART DIO and doing the mods. I have been impressed with the improvements this DAC makes to Anthem CD1 and Denon DCD-370. I'm planning on using my NAD T571 DVD player as a transport.  I'm curious how your TubeDac would compare in performance improvement.

Al

scottnixon

I heard that!
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2003, 04:35 pm »
[quote="audiojerry... if it hasn't been suggesed to you already, providing a demo unit that can be sampled by members of this forum is a great way to gain exposure and spread the word about your products.

I have made some effort to do that.  Have sent a TubeDac to jackman and hopefully that'll get heard around in the greater Chicago area soon.  Will have another one to pass around, next week, if I can figure out how to do it without it getting lost and orphaned along the way.   Any suggestions?

Hantra

Introduction
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2003, 04:45 pm »
Hey Scott:

Jerry actualy is sending around a DeZorel power conditioner.  What he did was have us sign up by paying $20 on Paypal.  We ship it to the next person when we demo it, and then at the end, we sell it, and if it sells for what he has in it, then we all get our money back.  

It hasn't gotten around to me yet, and I doubt you'd want to administer something like that, but I'd be glad to if it is a hassle for you.

L8r,

B

JoshK

Introduction
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2003, 04:45 pm »
Scott,

Yes your tubedac surely does sound very interesting.  I am very intrigued.  Also, how is the one box player kits coming along. I would love to build a one box player with top loading CD for the bedroom system.  Who knows maybe it'll displace my reference cd player.

doug s.

• makin' music
Introduction
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:18 am »
hi scott,

well, i have a di/o that i've modded, & i certainly wouldn't mind comparing it to your toob-dac... :) i also know a local guy w/a modded di/o; i'm sure he wouldn't mind hearing yer dac, either.

regards,

doug s.

JohnR

TH vs SMD?
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2003, 11:22 am »
Hi Scott, is there any audible difference between the DIP 8412 and the SMD 8414?

JohnR

MaxCast

Introduction
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2003, 11:47 am »
I'm only 1.5 hours from Jackman so I hope I get a stab at a listen.  I'd be happy to give a deposit if you need one.  I'm sure AJ and nathanm would give a listen too.