Receiver xover setting for AV/3

Blaine_M

« on: 16 Feb 2006, 06:08 pm »
What should I set my front speaker level to on my Marantz running a new pair of AV-3 speakers I just built?  Should I got small with a xover of 80 hz, or large with no xover?

RAW

« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2006, 06:24 pm »
Set the reciever to large.
Other than that the AV3 will be redundant as mains if used as small :oops:

Blaine_M

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2006, 06:27 pm »
That's what I thought, but I read an article somewhere that suggested possibly setting it to 1 octave above what your speakers will do, which I hadn't heard before and didn't make a lot of sense to me.  I'll leave it at large, which is what I have now and my center (AV-3s) set to small.

jjb

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2006, 02:16 am »
I have the Marantz SR-19 AV receiver with the AV-3, set front to large.  Works very well :D

MikeSRC

• http://www.surfremotecontrol.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2006, 10:25 pm »
Without a subwoofer, they should be set to large.  With a subwoofer, set them to small.

Blaine_M

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2006, 07:18 pm »
Well I did a little experimenting and I actually liked it better with them set to large even with the sub on.  I still wasn't great, but I think once I finish my bass traps I'll like it the best set on Large and with the sub.  On small it just felt like I was missing a lot of the mid bass.

gprro

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2006, 08:00 pm »
Try setting the X-over on the sub low, maybe 45hz or lower, you may be getting to much mid bass.

Blaine_M

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2006, 03:27 am »
Well, I have an SVS PB-10 ISD, no crossover on the sub.......  That may change though, I'm helping a friend build a sub using Danny's design, if that turns out well I'll consider building one for myself.