HT receiver w/ power amp inputs?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« on: 16 Feb 2006, 05:16 pm »
This system's primary purpose is two-channel music, but HT must be integrated.  There is a stereo analog preamp.  In HT mode the HT receiver's front L-R channels will go through the analog preamp.  

The front L-R speakers require an amp to drive only the dual 6.5" midbass drivers between 120-260 Hz (first order bandpass filters).  

This seems strange, but if possible, I want to minimize hardware & clutter by finding a HT receiver with main power amp inputs to power the above 6.5's in the front L-R speakers.    

Variable-level preamp outputs required for the front L-R channels.  Other minimum requirements: Reliability, 200WRMS @ 4-Ohms, good overall sound quality, new model currently available, volume steps of 1 dB or smaller.  

Preferred but not required: DTS, 7.1 (5.1 is acceptable)  

DPL II is not required.  No other features required.  It must be made in the USA (just kidding on that last item).

I have a feeling there are no HT receivers with power amp inputs, because the above rare situation is the only use I can imagine for them.  Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to prove me wrong.  The Borg will disavow all knowledge of your mission if you or any of your team is apprehended.

I prefer Denon, Marantz, & Pioneer, & would only purchase Sony if absolutely nothing else is available.  

Thanks.

srb

« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2006, 06:36 pm »
That is a tall order.

The only current model that I know of with power amp inputs is the NAD T773.

They only quote RMS power as
2 X 145W @ 8ohms
7 X 110W @ 8ohms

They infer that you can drive low impedance loads by listing IHF Dynamic Power as
2 X 320W @ 4ohms
2 X 390W @ 2ohms

Reliability - ?
Also, I belive it has a fan(s)

John Casler

Re: HT receiver w/ power amp inputs?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2006, 07:58 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
This system's primary purpose is two-channel music, but HT must be integrated.  There is a stereo analog preamp.  In HT mode the HT receiver's front L-R channels will go through the analog preamp.  

The front L-R speakers require an amp to drive only the dual 6.5" midbass drivers between 120-260 Hz (first order bandpass filters).  

This seems strange, but if possible, I want to minimize hardware & clutter by finding a HT receiver with main power amp inputs for the front L-R channels.  These amps will  ...

You might be able to find a 7 channel receiver that allows you to "direct" two of the channels to either a passive sub or a second room.  There may be a way to then use those two channels as you seek.

I know that they can have "different sources", and you would have to do a bit of playing around with it. I think Sherwood NewCastle has this in the R965 and R865.

Or if they have 9.1 analog ins then that might be another option.  I think either Denon or Yammie have 9.1 in their big receivers.

***edit: Space Cadet that I am, I had to remove the PrePro suggestion.... :oops: Duh! no amp inputs on those.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
No fans please
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2006, 08:09 pm »
Quote from: srb
...Also, I belive it has a fan(s)

Leave it to one of the MI team members to uncover a previously undisclosed prerequirsite: Jim Phelps has proclaimed that fans are prohibited on this mission, because the noise may cause the team's covert activities to be uncovered.  

This post will self immolate thirty seconds after being read!

srb

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2006, 09:26 pm »
Leave it to one of the MI team members to uncover a previously undisclosed prerequirsite: Jim Phelps has proclaimed that fans are prohibited on this mission, because the noise may cause the team's covert activities to be uncovered.

I know, I'm sorry.  In fact, that was a deal killer for me when I was shopping for an HT Receiver.

I was just excited to find one with power amp inputs.  I will once again go undercover and see if my surveilance can uncover any other candidates.  Thanks for not making me take the cyanide pill.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2006, 01:08 am »
Take a look at the top line Pioneer Elite. I'm pretty sure it has power amp inputs. I don't recall for sure offhand as that's not a feature I'd have a need for and as such don't recall well if they're there for sure. But I do think that the VSX-59TXi has then as that's what I'm looking at (to replace my VSX-39TX) and recall wondering what use those would be to me.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2006, 03:16 am »
Bubba
Now you have at least one known use for power amp inputs on a HT receiver.  Thanks very much for the tip.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2006, 05:04 am »
Bubba
Now you have at least one known use for power amp inputs on a HT receiver.  Thanks very much for the tip.

Well Jim, if that's what those power amp inputs are for, then I have absolutely no use for them. Nor will I ever possibly have use for them...

cbj

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2006, 11:36 am »
Well it's a few years old but I think a Harmon Kardon AVR8000 fits the bill otherwise.  It has amp inputs and outputs for 5 channels.  If you want to run 7 channels with the Logic 7 you will need an external lamp.   It has a torrodial amp and Sound & Vision measured it at 169 into 1 channel at 8 ohms, and 289 into 4 ohms.  Becasue it is old there is no DVI, HDMI, and only 3 component inputs. The biggest gripe I have with mine is that takes a second or so to lock onto a new digital signal.  You would have to get it used but they show up on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-8000-7-1-Channel-550-Watt-Receiver_W0QQitemZ5867423507QQcategoryZ39794QQssPageNameZWD7VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) or at Harmon's online site occasionaly (http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&cat=REC&market=HOM)

As for current recievers I don't know of any except for the already mentioned NAD 773.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2006, 05:32 pm »
CBJ
How old is "a few years"?  A guy at Sherwood said their only receiver with power amp inputs is one they made way back in '99.  The risk of downtime increases with age, & six years may be old for a regular HT receiver.  Would you favor the HK you mentioned or a '99 Sherwood?

John
The Sherwood guy knows of no way to use the current receiver the way I intend.  If you figure out some way to do it with the Zone 2 functions or any other way, I will pay a fee to 'splain it to me.  I would only purchase it knowing it will work the way I intend.

l will check the Pioneer later today.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2006, 05:57 pm »
I take it you are trying to multi-amp for HT so it has more punch in the midbass area?  Tall order...

cbj

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2006, 08:15 pm »
I think the receiver originally came out in 2000.  Here is a review from early 2003 (http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/150/).  So I would guess that it would probably be at least three years old.  As for whether I would favor it over the Sherwood, I guess I would have to look into that particular model.  Generally I've heard favorable things about Sherwood so I would probably consider it as well.  I do understand your concern about the age though.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2006, 10:47 pm »
My reading of the manual for the Sunfire TGIV pre-pro & the sales brochure for the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver implies that any receiver with Zone 2 functions may allow the intended use of two amplifier channels.  Good news is that it also implies there is no ADC-DAC for Zone 2 signals.

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2006, 11:21 pm »
My reading of the manual for the Sunfire TGIV pre-pro & the sales brochure for the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver implies that any receiver with Zone 2 functions may allow the intended use of two amplifier channels.  Good news is that it also implies there is no ADC-DAC for Zone 2 signals.

Hi Jim,

That is what I was refering to, in the Sherwood.

The Zone 2 input can be from any "analog" source or input.  If you select the input (your preamps second piar of outs) and just run the Zone 2 section only, the speaker outs from that zone will give you the signal from your preamp.

And for HT, it will still do the same thing, since you can use a different input for Zone 2 than the rest of the HT.

Should work like a champ.

That'll be $5,000 (PayPal is OK and I'll pay the fee) :lol:  :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2006, 12:43 am »
Johnny boy:
Check is in the mail...

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2006, 12:59 am »
Johnny boy:
Check is in the mail...

One slight problem with that set up is "unity gain".

Be aware that it will require that you take some time, finding a "preset" volume for each of the units:

1) your preamp when listening to HT
2) your Zone 2 when listening to 2 channel

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2006, 01:16 am »
I just remembered the receiver absolutely must have preamp outputs for the front L-R.  These outputs must go to the preamp input to get the receiver's front L-R signals to the speakers.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2006, 03:47 am »
I thoroughly researched the manual for the $1200 Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV.  There is a biamp function & a multi-zone function.  But these functions canibilize the two back surround amps.  The power amp inputs for the front L-R channels are not accesible.

It appears my original assumption is correct.  Preouts & power amp inputs for the front L-R channels are required for my use, probably offered only on the expensive flagships.  Because HT is a secondary application, I'd prefer to use a lesser receiever & an outboard amp to  power the midbass drivers.