Does digital cable affect skipping ?

Soundbitten

« on: 15 Feb 2006, 04:11 am »
I replaced my old digital cable with a DH Labs D-75 and noticed cd skipping was dramatically reduced . Is it a coincidence or would  the cable change make a difference ?

Rich Carlson

« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2006, 10:53 am »
Yes, replacing the cable certainly could make a difference.  The DH Labs is well-constructed and the 75-ohm rating is probably accurate, and some digital devices are pretty sensitive to impedance and grounding issues.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:37 pm »
I can see how cable would affect jitter, but skipping?  I am not convinced.

Soundbitten

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2006, 07:38 pm »
It's been remarkable . The skipping or misreading ? was getting so bad I thought the laser was getting weak and on it's way out . I've been playing discs ( some that always skipped ) for 2 days straight and not 1 skip . Not to mention I'm hearing much more information in the music now . What's puzzling is that the previous skipping occured whether I used a DAC w/  my old digital cable or not ( just interconnects ) with my cdp . Maybe the interconnects were a bad match too ?

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2006, 07:44 pm »
maybe it was a ground loop causing skipping.  I've had that happen before.

Digi-G

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2006, 08:02 pm »
Are you sure the disk was skipping?  Could it have been drop-outs?  Possibly your previous cable was bad.  I hadn't considered the that electrical issues (like ground loop) could affect a player mechanically... Hmmm.  Glad to hear this one has improved things though...

Soundbitten

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2006, 08:33 pm »
Whatever ... it works .

I've learned a lesson ... don't always blame the player .