Groneberg directionality

djbnh

Groneberg directionality
« on: 14 Feb 2006, 10:36 pm »
Perused the Groneberg site (now updated for various languages). My understanding was that Groneberg cable is directional. I noted the following diagram on the Groneberg site (see image) which confirmed that the various IC/speaker cables are indeed directional:

My question is the directionality of the hookup from CD to preamp. The image shows the "G" in "Groneberg"-end is supposed to be at the preamp end, and the "y" in "Germany"-end is supposed to be at the CD end. I plainly confess that I don't get why the cable should be seemingly reversed between source and preamp. Note that in all other instances the flow is as follows:

preamp>"G" --"y">amp

amp>>"G" --"y">speakers.

Anyone with any help out there with an explanation? [Is it possible the Groneberg illustration is in error/b'ass'ackwards (I note the diagram shows the same cable orientation in the Deutsch and English pages, and language on the diagram clearly discusses this)?]

Your replies are appreciated.

jkm

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2006, 01:44 am »
Good question!

I had thought that the cables were only directional in the Premiums, not the Quatros?

avalon65

Re: Groneberg directionality
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:51 am »
Quote from: djbnh
My question is the directionality of the hookup from CD to preamp. The image shows the "G" in "Groneberg"-end is supposed to be at the CD end. I plainly confess that I don't get why the cable should be seemingly reversed between source and preamp. Note that in all other instances the flow is as follows:

preamp>"G" --"y">amp

amp>>"G" --"y">speakers.

Great catch djbnh!!!

I would love to have an answer on this as well. I've always, if never given a direction, just had the lettering on the cable follow the same direction as the signal patch. This of course doesn't jive with the illustration.

Does anyone have a Groneberg power cord that could check to see if the direction on it follows the diagram djbnh has provided? I self terminated mine and apparently did them reversed. I would also guess that Klaus is terminating the power cords too.

Klaus???

LJ

djbnh

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:58 am »
Quote from: James K-M
Good question!

I had thought that the cables were only directional in the Premiums, not the Quatros?

It's the following Groneberg cables (again, courtesy of the Groneberg site, same page that provided the diagram):

GRONEBERG "Quattro Reference", "Serie 3", "TS-Premium" Cables und GTS-System
 Information about the correct direction

Note: to access the diagram and the above quoted info, when you go to the Groneberg English site, click the "Service" rectangle, then click on the question, "What is the right way to connect Groneberg cables?"

jkm

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2006, 09:16 pm »
I'm quite concerned about this now and it would be good to get an answer somehow from Klaus or elsewhere. Specifically, which direction do the ICs from CDP to preamp go in? I'm surprised to see the drawing indicate the reverse direction than what I've been doing.

djbnh

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2006, 11:58 pm »
I have no problem following Groneberg's directions. I re-aligned the CDP-to-preamp ICs according to the diagram, and have started to re-burn them in with some 24/7 playing for the next few days. Still, I'd like to know "why" :?:

F-100

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2006, 12:08 am »
What does Klaus say about this?

klaus@odyssey

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2006, 07:36 am »
^%#*%^$^%&^%&^(% SHIT.  The site just kicked  out my post.  aaaargh.

Here's the short of it:

it is very confusing,  especially since there is an arrow on the jacket which is actually not an arrow at all ????  Don't ask.

Anyway,  LS cables are easy,  always go with the lettering from the amp towards the speakers.
IC's is the only issue,  and there are really 2 ways to go here:

1.  the way Groneberg likes it,  have the IC's radiate away from the preamp as the center piece.  All the lettering cascades away from the preamp.

2.  What is less confusing,  works as well,  and what I advocate:  always have the lettering go with the signal,  left to right.   That easy.
Late,

Klaus

jkm

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2006, 05:53 pm »
For me, the question remains: Why does SL recommend the cables one way and Klaus the other?

Russell Dawkins

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2006, 08:43 pm »
- because it doesn't make any difference? :)

(unless it is shielded and the shield is floating at one end)

djbnh

And That's My Final Answer - Andreas Groneberg's Opinion
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2006, 01:01 pm »
I e-mailed Groneberg support about the diagram / cdp-preamp IC direction. I received the following response from Andreas Groneberg:

Quote from: Andreas Groneberg via e-mail
Dear Mr. *****,

I already tried to answer this question in the thread, but this did not work.

The way shown on our website is the correct way.
Sorry, that the Manufacturing manuals are unavailable until now, but I did not find time to translate. There You can read that we follow a concept of central grounding, so that all shields are connected to the pre-, amplifier or receiver.

So please feel free to contact me again, if there are further questions.

Best Regards

Andreas C. Groneberg

Thus, it appears that Mr. Groneberg's company utilizes/advocates "central grounding" with all shields connected to the preamp or receiver. That's it, that's the answer. Feel free to do any research you like on that topic. Anyway, at least now we know why the Groneberg diagram shows what it shows.

Happy listening!

jkm

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2006, 05:02 pm »
Good work! Thanks for resolving this dbjnh.

pugs

Groneberg directionality
« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2006, 05:33 pm »
I thought those were arrows on the cable so I had all of them connected the opposite way from what was on the diagram.  I changed them all according to the diagram and at the same time changed out the power cable on my Tempest from Groneberg to VH audio.  My system has never sounded better.  I don't know which contributed the most, but I don't really care.  My SB3 is still burning in, so that might be a factor also.

Sonny

Directionality
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2006, 05:54 pm »
I wonder then, what's the benefit of grounding everything to the Pre?
Does anyone know?
Also Pugs, what was the main difference once you connected everything via the diagram?
Thanks
S

pugs

Re: Directionality
« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2006, 06:36 pm »
Quote from: Sonny
I wonder then, what's the benefit of grounding everything to the Pre?
Does anyone know?
Also Pugs, what was the main difference once you connected everything via the diagram?
Thanks
S

More clarity and realism.  Like a veil was removed.

Sonny

Directionality
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2006, 06:59 pm »
Thanks Pugs...
I'll try that tonight...
To bad I have to work on P-Day...

bunky

Re: And That's My Final Answer - Andreas Groneberg's Opinion
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2006, 12:16 am »
Quote from: djbnh
I e-mailed Groneberg support about the diagram / cdp-preamp IC direction. I received the following response from Andreas Groneberg:

Thus, it appears that Mr. Groneberg's company utilizes/advocates "central grounding" with all shields connected to the preamp or receiver. That's it, that's the answer. Feel free to do any research you like on that topic. Anyway, at least now we know why the Groneberg diagram shows what it shows.

Happy listening!
i reversed the direction of the cables from my CDP to my preamplifier, if its good enough for Mr Groneberg it works for me also.thanks...WCW III