This could be a "dumb" question but here goes anyw

KCI-JohnP

« on: 14 May 2003, 03:04 am »
Do you guys think that colored vinyl sounds better or worse than standard black vinyl?  Lately I have become addicted to buying colored vinyl and was just wondering if any of you have an opinion on this. Thanks!

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2003, 02:17 pm »
The few I have sound pretty poor in comparison to other pressings.

duff138

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2003, 04:33 pm »
i've noticed no difference between colored vinyl and black vinyl.  i've compared a few colored vinyl to their testpressing and noticed no difference.  i do notice a difference in some picture discs when compared to black and colored vinyl.  the picture disc being not as good sounding.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2003, 02:57 am »
Supposedly some of the colored vinyl is slightly harder than black vinyl and can provide somewhat better high frequency definition. At least that is what one reviewer at Positive Feedback believes.

I own some colored vinyl and most of it sounds excellent but not all. I do own the Ray Brown album discussed in the Positive Feedback review and it sounds incredible but from what Nature Boy reports the black version sounds amazing as well.

As for the picture discs, I've never heard one that sounded as good as a normal black version.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2003, 05:06 am »
Cool, thanks for the info.  I don't have my TT yet so I was curious about sound quality due to the fact that I am buying quite a bit of colored vinyl.  Once again, Thanks!!