screw size for sw12 mounting

kroberts1972

« on: 13 Feb 2006, 06:40 pm »
Hi all,
I am going to get some t-nuts from PE, and I don't know what size of screw is best for mounting the sw12A. My choices are
8-32, 10-32 or 1/4"-20.

Also, the Vance Dickason book recommends using well-nuts, has anyone ever used these?  I looked at one at Lowe's and it doesn't look like it will work well with a 1 1/2" baffle.

Thanks,
Kevin

samplesj

« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:18 pm »
Well, it may cost me my Audiophile Club membership, but I just used black coarse threaded sheet-rock screws.  I'm a big fan of use what you've got ;).  Danny gives out normal screws for all of his kits so I figured a screw there ought to be fine.  Of course  be sure and choke back the drill.  

Technically there is a chance they will overtighten and strip the hole, but I've not had that happen so far.   I actually rebuilt my sub cabinet a few months ago (first one was aweful looking) and when I removed the drivers that were secured with just screws they had slightly bonded to the cabinet from the pressure.  I had to pry at them them to get them loose for installation in the new box.   I'd think we could call it a tight enough mounting

kroberts1972

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:35 pm »
Thanks Jeremy,
I made a 7 speaker Audax HT setup and just screwed into the MDF, but I didn't know if that would be good enough for a sub.  Sounds like it is.  Thanks!

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:49 pm »
We use a #10 wood screw for mounting the driver and PR.
Pre-drill and put them in. 8)
Tnuts are not easy to install in a way that they will not fall out or have al ot of side material left after they are installed.
We use screws all day for assembly.

kroberts1972

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2006, 11:21 pm »
Thanks Raw, and thanks for the cabinet examples.  That 4 sub tower is killer.  I have been trying to decide how to make my cabinet and I think I will go for half of one of those.