« on: 13 Feb 2006, 03:16 pm »
Cardas?  

Moon (Blue Dragon)?

Not worth it?

Opinions please

stryker

Relacement cables for Senns
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2006, 12:01 am »
They are worth it to the extent you want an increase in bass weight and perhaps a bit more of a sound image. It is certainly a worthy upgrade if these are going to be your main headphones and you want to maximize their capability. What amp, if any, are you using?

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2006, 03:39 pm »
Quote from: stryker
They are worth it to the extent you want an increase in bass weight and perhaps a bit more of a sound image. It is certainly a worthy upgrade if these are going to be your main headphones and you want to maximize their capability. What amp, if any, are you using?

I run them direct from a Shanling CD T100 with WE 396A tubes

elcaptain88

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2006, 04:23 pm »
Not worth it.

I know why you're looking for a fix. I had a pair of Senn HD650's for over a year and really tried to like them - but couldn't. Too undynamic & laid back with loose bass, regardless of amplifier. They were comfortable though. I tried out a number of the cables you listed - not worth it at all.

I'm getting the best headphone sound I've ever had right now with a pair of Grado SR225s being driven out of a Van Alstine Ultra SL preamp.

stryker

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2006, 09:16 pm »
Quote from: elcaptain88

I'm getting the best headphone sound I've ever had right now with a pair of Grado SR225s being driven out of a Van Alstine Ultra SL preamp.

May be true until you try on a pair of AKG K701s. The 225s are then very difficult to go back to.

R_Burke, you need a headphone amp first, believe me. If you still like the sound, and they have a very, very good sound (albeit laid back and a touch rich), go for the cable. But don't waste your money until you get an amp worthy of driving them well. You can find reasonably-priced used amps over at Head-Fi or get a VHP-1 from Dusty.  :D

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2006, 10:56 pm »
Thanks, sounds like a cable isn't the answer - I'll be looking into new phones and/or an amp

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2006, 02:09 am »
I found value in the replacement cable for my Sennheisers, via Cardas. I'm a cable believer, or heretic, and without going into opinionated detail, I liked the upgrade.

I've owned a few pairs of Grado and they have better definition and clarity, but it's the most uncomfortable headphone I've demo'd aside from the ITE type.

sulcata_geo

Re: Relacement cables for Senns
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2006, 12:49 pm »
I recommend Headphile SennV2 strongly.

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2006, 04:29 pm »
I have the exact same setup, I personally thought that the Shanling doesn't go loud enough to drive the 600s.  Although I don't have the aftermarket tubes on the headphone side.  If these tubes were as pointless as I think they are on the lineout side I suspect there wouldn't be much difference on the phones either.  But I haven't tried it.  The Antique Sound Labs OTL headphone amp has much more headroom, plus you can mess with the transformver vs. OTL outputs.  Compared to the other solid state headphone jacks at my disposal the tube amp's undoubtedly terrible, non-linear performance comes across as a little more easy on the ears.  Plus you can hear the mechanical sound of pluggin in the phones if you've got microphonic tubes!  Fun! :P

I also bought a replacement cable for the 600s recently.  They are MUCH better than the stock cables!  The improvement was DRAMATIC! I did a rigorous blind comparison and found that the new ones were the clear winner.  The old cable had an intermittent short on the right ear whereas the new one didn't!  I was a cable skeptic before but now I don't question anything!  It's great!  All this for only $17.93!
http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=081435

djbnh

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2006, 10:29 am »
The Stefan AudioArts Equinox HD650 cable, in my system with my gear to my ears, makes a substantive positive difference in the performance of my HD650s. YMMV, system synergy and human hearing / preferences being what they are.

Songforyou

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2006, 12:01 am »
Without getting into a shootout over what headphones are the best, if you like you senns then I agree that the Stephan Audio is the way to go.  Nice, balanced sound.  Better than the Cardas in my opinion.

tubesurf

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2007, 01:48 am »
Hi,

I upgraded my 650's with Cardas and then the Moon Silver cables.   I highly recommend the Moon Silvers - they maintain the strength of the 650s but remove all of the bloat.   They allow more detail while leaning out the bass and midrange - it is like the 650s lose some fat and get some muscle tone.  Well worth the $200 in my opinion.   I listen through a tweaked ASL MG head amp (auricaps and schottky diodes).

Thanks

Singapura

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2007, 02:26 am »
The Cardas cable was one of the best upgrades to my system so far. It made the sound of my HD650 a lot more defined, like putting on glasses.