Can non shielded speakers ruin a TV?

jasonc

« on: 13 Feb 2006, 12:46 am »
I posted this on AVA and looking for more feedback-

I own a Sony KD-34XS955 TV and I'm wondering if I'm putting it in harms way? I own non sheilded floor standing speakers that are positioned about 17" away from my set on each side but not far enough to not cause a green spot (about the size of a beer can) in the lower left side of the set. This Sony has an internal degausser which I can hear activate every time I turn on my set. Tonight is the second time I have experinced heavy flickering on my set which is not only visable but audible with a click that goes with every flicker, I can hear the clicks happening inside the back inside of the TV. To rule out cable I checked my upstairs TV which is fine.  It seems to start out of nowhere and then lessen and end.  The whole episode has lasted a little over an hour on both occasions.  
I have a couple questions the first one being can my degausser die out from constantly correcting the image or does the degausser always activate if there's an image problem or not? Second is this flickering related to my degausser perhaps burning out or is the flickering due to something else entirely?
Unfortunately I can only rid the green blot image from appearing if I move the left speaker several feet away from the set which has a real bad effect on listening to audio, at their current position they are pretty much optimized for my room. My TV is about a year old.

Any comments appreciated,
Thanks!

ooheadsoo

« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2006, 01:33 am »
Don't kill me if I'm wrong but degaussers usually kick in every time you turn on the set.

WerTicus

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2006, 02:30 am »
yes you can definatly kill CRT tubes with magnets.

Karsten

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2006, 10:12 am »
The internal degaussers are not powerful enough to handle the effect of direct magnetisation, but you can get it degaussed by a TV repairman etc. It will not take permanent damage.

Karsten

jasonc

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:24 am »
Well wouldn't you know I received my Equi=Tech Son of Q Jr from Wayne today.  I installed it tonight and not only does everything look and sound a lot better (out of the box) but the green magnetic image on my screen has seemed to have vanished.  I am also now certain the problem is something going on central in the TV as I am still experiencing flickering as recently as a half hour ago.  
I'll be calling Best Buy tomorrow for a tech person to come out.. luckily it's under the Best Buy warrenty!

Anyway, if you own non shielded speakers and they are placed next to your TV and you are experiencing magnetic image problems I have learned the quick way that quality power conditioning may be the answer.  It also doesn't hurt that the outlets on the Son of Q are filtered and isolated from each other.  
This power conditioner has got me pretty psyched and it's only 2 hours broken in.  I'll have more to report on it later, but I can say I am experiencing a pretty dramatic increase in PQ and audio right out of the gate.  The fact that it has cleaned up my green monster image is huge and unexpected.