Auricap filter cap for UcD's

JoshK

« on: 12 Feb 2006, 08:12 pm »
Kevin,
A little bird told me you got the Auricap for the filter cap of the UcD's output filter.  I noticed it isn't on your site yet.  Do you have any info to share yet?

Thanks,
Josh

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2006, 09:10 pm »
News travels fast.   They are supposed to be on the way to me.   I've not yet recived them though.

These little suckers are expensive too.   Figure $45-$50 per cap and  I only have about 30 available.  I'll be evaluating them for our use and I'll sell the balance.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2006, 09:44 pm »
Did Audience give you any specs with the caps?  For that amount of coin, I think a lot of DIY'er will want some specs before taking the plunge.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2006, 03:58 am »
Nothing other than that they are 0.68uF 100V parts with a pin-out that fits the application.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2006, 08:34 pm »
fits UCD 700 or 400?

Peter

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2006, 09:07 pm »
They are a 0.68uF part, which is the same value as used on the UCD400 & UCD180s.   The UCD700s have three 0.33uF parts in parallel but they are the same form factor caps.

darwin

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2006, 10:55 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins

These little suckers are expensive too.   Figure $45-$50 per cap and  I only have about 30 available.  I'll be evaluating them for our use and I'll sell the balance.

How difficult of a job would it be to retrofit these into an existing amp?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2006, 12:25 am »
I don't know yet as I've not done one.

From what someone else is telling me the pin footprint of the Audience parts is 10mm.   The PCB footpring is 7.5mm on the UCD400s & UCD700s.   If that is the case you would need to bend the pins slightly to make them fit.   It is also possible that the leads are larger in diameter but I won't know until I get a chance to mess with it.

Physically the parts are not large.   The LED may need to be moved if mounted on top or you could mount the part from the bottom of the board.

Gordy

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2006, 04:51 am »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins

It is also possible that the leads are larger in diameter but I won't know until I get a chance to mess with it.  

Micro drill bits, available at your local model railroad hobby shop, work a treat there!

StevenACNJ

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2006, 12:03 pm »
Kevin,

Would you post a picture of the new .68uf Auricap when you get them in?

Thanks

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2006, 09:27 pm »
Quote from: StevenACNJ
Kevin,

Would you post a picture of the new .68uf Auricap when you get them in?

Thanks

Here are a couple quick ones.

This is a comparison between the stock cap and the Auricap.

This is the view with the stock capacitor removed (circled in red) and the leads from the Auricap sticking through before soldering & clipping.

This is the picture from the bottom side.  Note... this was a smoked module.  The black scorched PCB is not the norm.  ;-)   The picture is just to show mounting configuration.    These are slightly larger than the stock part so I'd expect some additional emissions in comparisons with the stock part.   They should be substantially better than any axial based designer cap in this application though due to the size and the pin configuration.    

These are only suitable for the UCD400 & UCD700 in my opinion.  They just are too large for the UCD180 PCB.    You can make them fit but they are not an easy install on the UCD180s.

They are in stock and sell for the low low price of $45 each (sarcasm).   :o

UCD Auricap Purchase