Really dumb sub hookup question.

drphoto

« on: 13 May 2003, 04:28 pm »
I eventually want to run a pair of 'smallers'  But I'll probably start w/ one, which means I need a dual voicecoil woof...right? But when I hook up as stereo pair, can the DVC version be used as single channel?

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2003, 05:31 pm »
A lot depends on what you plan to use for a crossover and amp.

Quite a few of the Pro Audio amps, like QSC and Crown will allow you to sum the signals coming into it to feed one woofer. There are also electronic crossovers that will let you sum the sub signal.

If you were planning on using the passive crossover that VMPS offers, you will need to get two crossovers and the DVC woofer in one cabinet. When/if you get a second sub, then you will also need to get a passive crossover and the same woofer built into it.

There is no problem only using one of the coils.

I would suggest the electronic crossover and separate amp as the way to go, however. The Megawoofer is not available in a DVC version and it is sometimes hard to match levels using the passive crossover. If your main speakers are more efficient than the subs, no problem. The passive crossover does have a level control to reduce the main speaker levels. If your mains are LESS efficient, you now have a problem.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2003, 05:40 pm »
If you do decide to get an active XO, you might want to check out IRD's new PT-2.

It does sum both channels to one or leaves them seperate, your choice via outputs.

It also will have 6db of attenuation and gain per channel (12 db total per channel) so you can have a total of 24db difference to match up to any amp/speaker combo I can think of.

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2003, 11:01 pm »
I'm planning active setup. Was thinking Marchand XM9 deluxe, but will certainly consider the IRD. Power will come from a pair of old GFA555.

I didn't have much luck using passive line level high pass.

John Casler

Re: Really dumb sub hookup question.
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2003, 12:23 am »
Quote from: drphoto
I eventually want to run a pair of 'smallers'  But I'll probably start w/ one, which means I need a dual voicecoil woof...right? But when I hook up as stereo pair, can the DVC version be used as single channel?

Hi Doc,

I think Brian has said that the SMALLER, has been replaced by the Dedicated. (and is now out of the VMPS lineup)