Audio Technica AT440ml...AT150mlx cartridges = upgrade-itis?

Psychicanimal

Re: Audio Technica AT440ml...AT150mlx cartridges = upgrade-itis?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:45 pm »

The AT440MLa is still $85-$99 all over and I've seen the AT150MLx for $269.00.

So, caveat emptor when buying the AT440ML now....it may not sound a glowingly good as it's forebear, the AT440ML/OCC  :|

I think none of the new Audio Technica MMs can match the AT-15S/20S models.  These models are catalogued similar to the Stanton 881S/881S Calibration Standard.  The 20S and 881S Calibration Standard are the units that come out with the tightest frequency response curves from the production runs.

With regards to the 440, don't knock off the Stanton 680/81 iterations.  Stanton has a very unique sound and better trackability than the Audio Technica's.  In my system I prefer the modded Stanton Trackmaster and my Audio Technica AT-15S.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:10 pm »
Hey PA,

The 881S was a good 3x the price of the AT440ML many years ago...it's in a completely diffferent price ballpark.

The 881S is priced more like AT's 150MLX with boron, fine line cantilever and many other enhancements.    That would be a far more fair comparison as pricing is more in line with one another.

My AT440ML/OCC is a little zingy to listen to ....I'll see how re-treating all the joints with contact cleaner/enhancer rectifies matters.  I totally forgot to do it with all the changes in my vinyl front end.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2006, 11:38 am »
Hey PA,

The 881S was a good 3x the price of the AT440ML many years ago...it's in a completely diffferent price ballpark.

The 881S is priced more like AT's 150MLX with boron, fine line cantilever and many other enhancements.    That would be a far more fair comparison as pricing is more in line with one another.

My AT440ML/OCC is a little zingy to listen to ....I'll see how re-treating all the joints with contact cleaner/enhancer rectifies matters.  I totally forgot to do it with all the changes in my vinyl front end.

C/G:

I wrote:

" With regards to the 440, don't knock off the Stanton 680/81 iterations. "

The 881S/881 S Calibration Standard are Stanton's counterpart to the AT-15S and 20S.  The 680's are in the AT-440, Shure M97, Ortofon, etc. price/quality range.  The Stantons do seem to be the better overall cartridges, IMO.  They have excellent trackability, better frequency balance and overall smoothness w/o being bland.  That's why I really like the KAB modded Trackmaster.  I recently got a hold of a NOS Trackmaster I of the very first production runs.  These have half the coil windings of subsequent Trackmaster I production runs and versions II and III, with 380 mH inductance and 475 Ohm impedance.

Problem with cartridges like the 440 is control at the high frequencies--that's why you hear what you hear.  A guy like you should step up to a real audiophile cartridge and move out of the budget class.  :duh: 

My strong suggestion, if you like the AT sound, is to patiently search for a 15S or a 20S.  You are going to really enjoy the step up in performance.  :drool: