lookin for a new HDTV

beat

lookin for a new HDTV
« on: 8 Feb 2006, 09:10 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been shopping around a little bit for a new tv. I'm looking at somewhere around 42 inches. From what I understand, plasma is the way to go. Can anybody confirm that? I say that because Dlp has that annoying thing with viewing at angles (kinda like the old rear projections) and lcd is way expensive when you get that large. Anyone have something they love or could reccomend?

thanks, and it is good to be back.
Beat

beat

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2006, 09:44 pm »
thanks Fab,
that looks like exactly what I want. I'm not down with big ol speakers attatched as we pretty much only watch with the amp on anyway. It looks like this one I was checking out locally but this is a magnavox. I saw that accessories4less had refurbed marantz on the cheap..do you guys think there is much in a "name" when it comes to tvs?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?categoryid=pcmcat33900050026&id=1117178480088&skuid=7275575&type=product&ref=06&loc=01

and here is a dell with supposed 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11105236&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Tweaker

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2006, 09:46 pm »
I agree with the Panasonic endosement. They have a professional line that has no tuner or speakers built in, which saves you money if you don't need either, and is considered by some to have a superior picture to their consumer models, which themselves have no peers for the money as far as plasmas are concerned. Here is a link to a review of their 42" pro series plasma. If you are going to be sitting more than about 7 or 8' away consider the pro series EDTV. You cannot tell the difference in picture quality between the HDTV and EDTV unless you are about 6' or closer and the EDTV models (pro and consumer) are considered to have a better picture than many consumer plasma HDTV's on the market.
We have the EDTV model and it blows us away at how good the pq is. Nobody ever guesses it's not an HDTV.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42phd8uk-review.html

samplesj

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2006, 10:04 pm »
From all of my recent digging I also decided that a Panasonic plasma was the one to beat.  I just picked up a commercial Panasonic 42" ED for our den system.  So far we've been incredibly impressed.  While its not as immersive as a projector shooting on a huge screen, it fits the common family area much better.

If you are using cable or satellite and don't have local HD reception the lack of a tuner is a total non-issue.  As far as speakers go, I'm sure most people on an audio forum already have much better.  Also like Tweaker said if you aren't sitting that close you won't really be able to resolve extra resolution that a HD set gets you.  

Once you take the tuner, speaker, and HD surcharges off, you might actually be suprised how cheaply a 42" plasma can be had.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2006, 11:02 pm »
Quote from: Tweaker
I agree with the Panasonic endosement. They have a professional line that has no tuner or speakers built in, which saves you money if you don't need either, and is considered by some to have a superior picture to their consumer models, which themselves have no peers for the money as far as plasmas are concerned. Here is a link to a review of their 42" pro series plasma. If you are going to be sitting more than about 7 or 8' away consider the pro series EDTV. You cannot tell the difference in picture quality ...

Great post!

Having owned the Panny EDTV for a few years now, I can assure you that unless you are up very close you can't tell the difference between that unit and a true HDTV unit.

You should be able to get the Pro EDTV 42" for well under $2k street price.

Only better deal out there is the Panny AE-900 pj for $1600 after rebate.

George

Tweaker

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2006, 12:24 am »
Here's a link to the Panasonic pro series EDTV at Newegg.com where I purchased ours.  The stand is not included but if you hunt you can find one for about $140.00. A good wall mount shouldn't be much more. Another nice thing, to me, is the pro series displays are black. I really don't care for the silver frames being used on virtually all consumer plasmas. The black frame disappears nicely when the lights are turned down for movie watching. The recommended viewing distance for watching a 42" HDTV, by the way, is 5.7' We sit about 10' away so for us the decision to buy a EDTV was a no brainer, especially after viewing the Panasonic consumer model HD and ED tvs side by side at two different local audio/video stores and finding out for myself the truth about not being able to tell the difference between the two at more than about 7' away with a HD signal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824187064

mjosef

Check out the NEC 42" plasma also...
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2006, 02:22 am »
I have also been looking to purchase my first HDTV...I originally was hooked on the Sony 34XBR960 inspite of its bulky size, and because I wanted the highest quality video, but within the last few weeks I have been checking the plasma offerings, and also narrowed my picks between the Panasonic and the NEC. Below is the link to the NEC website, never can have too much info when making a purchase  over 2k. Also may be worth your time to check out the video forum over at AVS. Good luck.

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/Products/Product/?product=b0ed3488-e9e6-4ad8-a5a5-5906b126c3e3

zybar

• Volunteer
lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2006, 02:25 am »
Might also want to check this site:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/index.html

George

zybar

• Volunteer
lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2006, 03:05 am »
Quote from: fabaudio
Another good source for reviews - Consumer Reports March 06 issue on " Best flat screens ".

I wouldn't say CR is a good source for electronics reviews...

George

windwaves

Re: lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2006, 03:15 am »
Quote from: beat
Hey guys,
I've been shopping around a little bit for a new tv. I'm looking at somewhere around 42 inches. From what I understand, plasma is the way to go. Can anybody confirm that? I say that because Dlp has that annoying thing with viewing at angles (kinda like the old rear projections) and lcd is way expensive when you get that large. Anyone have something they love or could reccomend?

thanks, and it is good to be back.
Beat

go plasma and never look back.  So I did, 2+ years ago.  Choices are fairly simple:  if price is ok no doubt about it, FUJITSU, otherwise it gets a bit more difficult (I mean, more subjective) but you've got Sony, NEC and Pannys.  As to what I think about these last three:  Sony too expensive (go Fuji then), NEC and Pannys have great reputation, but noone touches NEC's fabulous colors while most believe blacks are better on the Panny.  

So, unless you go Fuji, you probably should take a look at them and see what you like best.  I have owned the NEC 42 HD and loved it still today every minute.

Also, you've got to decide whether you like/want sets with built speakers (ugly ! but for some just practical) or just the models, so called commercial, that come with no speakers (so better looking).

Good luck !!!

Tweaker

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2006, 03:17 am »
Consumer Reports recommends the Panasonics. (My wife subscribes). :oops:

jasonc

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2006, 02:06 pm »
I like this TV a lot- http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDLV40XBR1&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_flatpanel_26%22to42%22

A major benefit LCD has over plasma is that the viewing is superb at any angle and there is absolutely no glare.  If your TV is placed in a room which receives sunlight you will really want to think about this.  
Plasma you can go big however in set size whereas LCD is limited in what it can get away with.  This 40" Bravia LCD is the best and one of the largest available right now.

zybar

• Volunteer
lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2006, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: jasonc
I like this TV a lot- http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDLV40XBR1&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_flatpanel_26%22to42%22

A major benefit LCD has over plasma is that the viewing is superb at any angle and there is absolutely no glare.  If your TV is placed in a room which receives sunlight you will really want to think about this.  
Plasma you can go big however in set size whereas LCD is limited in what it can get away with.  This 40" Bravia LCD is the best and one of the largest available right now.

That's a good tv, but the street price is about double what you would pay for the EDTV Panny.  IMHO, not worth the extra scratch.

George

Tweaker

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2006, 09:49 pm »
LCD tv's do not have an advantage over plasmas as far as viewing angle. The opposite is true. Do  a Google search on the subject.  Every site I checked out that compared the two technologies agree that plasmas and crts have the best viewing angle (plasma is 160 degrees) and lcd is one of the worst. For many people that may not an issue but if it is be aware that an lcd tv does have a fairly narrow viewing angle.
Here's a link to a CNET comparison between the two technologies:
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=PLASMA+VIEWING+ANGLE&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&u=reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5023901-3.html&w=plasma+viewing+angle&d=AnVTbW1aMNhv&icp=1&.intl=us

dwk

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2006, 10:08 pm »
I guess I'll be the first to chime in with the 'it really depends on what your viewing habits are' post. And the 'all technologies have artifacts, and which ones bother you might be different'.

I recently bought a new HDTV, and going in my ranking was
- DLP proj
- Plasma
- LCD proj

After extensive viewing of everything at the entry level, I was very surprised to come away with the Sony 42A10 LCD projection TV. The caveat is that sports (specifically hockey, but football as well) makes up the bulk of our viewing, with movies secondary. 'Normal' TV doesn't register.  We're extremely happy with it, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  If I were looking purely for movies/dvd it might have been different, but then again maybe not.

tvyankee

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2006, 11:32 pm »
i am around alot of hdtv and for the money right now and for the screen size besides front projection the model to bet is the 56inch jvc lcos set.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458999112

besides this set being able to produce real true black levels and great color sat it is one of the only sets on the market that can accept a 1080p input.

most of the sets today that say they are 1080p do not accept a 1080p input.they only up convert to 1080p.

1080p is coming in the future and it looks better than 1080i.it might take some time. but why not start with a set today that you will not have to upgrade to take advantage of whats coming soon.

but if you need to flat screen they pana is a nice set for the money.

good luck on whatever you get.

zybar

• Volunteer
lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2006, 01:09 am »
Quote from: tvyankee
i am around alot of hdtv and for the money right now and for the screen size besides front projection the model to bet is the 56inch jvc lcos set.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458999112

besides this set being able to produce real true black levels and great color sat it is one of the only sets on the market that can accept a 1080p input.

most of the sets today that say they are 1080p do not accept a 1080p input.they only up convert to 1080p.

1080p is coming in the future and i ...

Interesting Dave...

Every review I have read of this tv and the online specs (including the link you posted) say it DOES NOT accept a 1080P signal.  As far as I know, only the HP unit accepts 1080P at this point.

Also, in measured reviews, the JVC usually had the worst black level and the lowest light output when properly configured.

YMMV.

George

jonwb

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2006, 03:10 am »
We recently bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma.  Couldn't be happier with it.  I don't think there is a better value in plasmas right now.  Only the Pioneer and Fujitsu models compare and they both cost much more.  For my eyes I prefer the picture on my plasma to what I've seen on any rear projection TVs.  As an added bonus, the smaller overall package size a plus.  I can put it on a nice stand that'll hold all of my gear.  

I really cannot give any weight to 1080P.  Frankly I think its a bit of marketing hyperbole.  When you get to the 720p or 1080i level the biggest difference in picture quality is the quality of the production itself.  Some shows look pretty good and some look drop-deap-jaw dropping.  Garbage in... garbage out...  If its a good HD display and its a good program it'll look perfect.  I just don't think 1080P will be any better, at least not until the rest of the infrastructure catches up.

beat

lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2006, 03:45 pm »
Well thanks so much for everyones input. I think I am leaning toward (if not set on) the panny in the monitor only version. I don't see myself ever not having cable or dish or whatnot and we never watch without going through the amp anyway so speakers are a non issue. Now the hunt begins. I hope I can find one locally!

have a good weekend. Beat

zybar

• Volunteer
lookin for a new HDTV
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2006, 04:07 pm »
Quote from: beat
Well thanks so much for everyones input. I think I am leaning toward (if not set on) the panny in the monitor only version. I don't see myself ever not having cable or dish or whatnot and we never watch without going through the amp anyway so speakers are a non issue. Now the hunt begins. I hope I can find one locally!

have a good weekend. Beat

Why go locally?

There should be no issue with ordering over the web (where you will get the best price).

Of course you can try and get the locals to match internet pricing.  

You should be able to get the Panny for right around $1500.

Best of luck.

George