Modwright pre with phono stage.

michaelmickj7

« on: 5 Feb 2006, 07:13 pm »
Does anyone know when this be available to buy?.

Does anyone know if it is for MC only?

Any idea how much it will be in the UK?

Many thanks,

Mick.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2006, 02:50 am »

While I cannot answer this question exactly, I have been given permission to tell you that I have a SWLP 9.0SE coming my way. This is not even a Beta unit but rather a prototype. It will start out with a Music Hall MMF-9 table and then a JA Michell GyroDec soon enough. I will post some findings after having time to evaluate.
 Dan will have to let us know when they will be ready for the market. He is now on his way to Montreal where he will be debuting the SWLP.

Not at all. The production units will be user selectable. The unit I'm getting will not have this feature and I will have to make some internal changes when I change tables.

Any idea how much it will be in the UK

Nobody knows how much it will be period. You will just have to be patient on this one along with the rest of us.

modwright

I could tell you, but....
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2006, 08:54 pm »
Hi guys, a bit more info about the phono and options coming:

Three models of 9.0SE products will be available soon.

The SWL 9.0SE Linestage - Currently available at $2200.
The SWP 9.0SE Phono stage - Pricing still TBD.
The SWLP 9.0SE preamp with phono and external PS - Pricing TBD.

I am actually working on finallzing pricing as we speak as I am debuting the SWLP 9.0SE prototype tomorow in Montreal.  I can tell you that the SWP 9.0SE and SWL 9.0SE will be similarly priced and the SWLP 9.0SE will be considerably more.

Both SWP 9.0SE (phono) and SWL 9.0SE(linestage only) will have internal power supplies.  The SWLP 9.0SE will feature an external PS.  Those existing owners of SWL 9.0SE units will have the option of having them upgraded to SWLP 9.0SE units with external PS.  The upgrade price will be in-line with the increased cost of going from either SWL or SWP to SWLP 9.0SE.  Preferrential pricing for this upgrade will be given to existing owners of the 9.0SE linestage for a limited time.  After that, the cost to upgrade a SWL 9.0SE  to an LP version will be more expensive than if you had simply purchased the SWLP 9.0SE version to start with.  The reason for this being, that it is more costly for us to take a SWL 9.0SE back and upgrade it, than it is for us to built a SWLP 9.0SE from the start.

The design will be both MM and MC.  I have designed the prototype initially with MC requirements in mind.  I have been testing the prototype with a .20mV MC cart and it has done exceptionally well in terms of adequate gain and very low noise floor.  Total gain of current prototype is 64dB.

I am not sure how much gain loading will be user selectable.  The issue has to do with the sonic degredation of ANY switch or relay contacts at the input to the MC stage.  Thanks to Alan Kimmels design contributions, I am evaluating some novel ways of allowing MM/MC flexibility here.  If anyone would like to comment on their desire or need for variable loading (R type), I will listen...

Fit and finish of SWL, SWP and SWLP products will be of the same high quality and will be very similar in terms of aesthetics.  They will all be 17"W x 4"H.

I will post more and we proceed further.  Suffice to say, the design is going very well and I expect to surprise and impress people with our final release.

Keith Cheal of Angel Sound Audio is our UK distributor and he will be representing the phono stage when available.  I believe that reviews are currently in the works for the SWL 9.0SE and at least two major UK audio mags.

Thanks,

Dan W.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2006, 09:14 pm »
Dan,
Sounds great.  Is there an option of swapping an SWL for an SWP?  And looking further ahead to my favorite option :D ...the dac, would going SWP make a dac upgrade more difficult due to less real estate to work in, etc?
Thx,
Ted

Edit:  Sorry, misread SWP as a preamp with internal phono stage.  Delete.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Modwright pre with phono stage.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2006, 01:45 am »
Quote from: michaelmickj7

Any idea how much it will be in the UK?

Many thanks,

Mick.

Hey Mick,

Congratulation on your victory over Chelsea.  I like your chances againest the Hammers.  Dan has said it may be mid-June for commercial release of the phono stage.