Optical S/PDIF limits

webnick

Optical S/PDIF limits
« on: 3 Feb 2006, 06:22 am »
Say, does anyone know for sure what's the longest one of these cables can effectively transfer information?  I've found conflicting information - from 6 feet to 150 feet.  Some folks and articles have said the signal degrades after 6 feet while other folks and research say the signal is simply light so can go on and on.  Some sellers will only sell 6 foot lengths while others have 50 foot (or longer) cables.  Confusing.  I want to run one of these cables from the S/PDIF out of my computer into one of my home stereo DACs for internet radio (Radio Paradise anyone?) and the stereo is in another room, and about 35 feet away.  Thanks for your knowledge/insights.

webnick

Re: S/PDIF transmission limits
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2006, 08:00 pm »
No one knows the answer to this question?

Dan Banquer

SPDIF/Optical Limits
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2006, 08:07 pm »
This can be a tough question to answer but I'll give it a try.
This may well be totally dependent on the driver for the SPDIF or Optical cable, which is located in the source unit. For SPDIF and a 35 foot run I would use some low loss RG6 cable just to be sure. As for the optical cable I would consult the manufacturer of the source unit you are using.
Hope this helps;
              d.b.

webnick

Well, I just bought a 50 foot cable, so we'll see . . .
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2006, 05:00 pm »
if it works, despite the adamant assertions of some who claim that optical S/PDIF (Toslink) cables can't transfer data, lossless, for more than 6 feet.  I'm hoping they're wrong, of course (otherwise I wouldn't have bought the cable), because I want to listen to internet radio through my Magnepans.  I guess we'll see.  Thanks for your input, Dan.

webnick

WORKS! WORKS! WORKS!
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2006, 05:37 pm »
Yeah, this is great - the 50 foot cable works just fine.  No degradation in sound as compared to listening to internet radio using headphones.