Phono stage for inherited TT, and Q on the cartridge

dwc

Our inherited TT is a Sharp/Optonica rp-7100.  I searched for a decent photo for you guys to see but haven't had much luck.  The best I can do is this netherland marketplace site:

http://tinyurl.com/bftzu

The cartridge in it is a Pickering xv-15 (says D200 on the tip)

Can someone give me some info on which type of cartridge this is, and it's relative quality?  I need to buy a phono stage to go with it and I'm looking to keep the phono stage price under $250 used.  It seems for selecting preamps you should to know the cartridge type to match the phono stage gain and input impedance best.

I guess I should also ask if the cartridge is bunk and can be replaced with something much better for not much outlay.

Thanks,
Dan Carwin

SWG255

Piickering cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2006, 09:44 pm »
The Pickering cartridge was a moving-magnet design, meaning to use it you won't need the extra gain required by many moving-coil cartridges. These cartridges liked to see an input impedence of 47K Ohms. Judging from the model number, this is in the middle of their line, and you can probably do much better with modern cartridges from companies like Grado.

dwc

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2006, 10:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  So I'm beginning to look at something like the Grado Blue. (I'll keep looking) HOw do I know if my TT arm takes "P-mount" or "Regular"?

And sorry that I'm essentially totally ignorant, I'm happy to read some primers if pointed.

Thanks,
Dan

edit: question answered via this diagram:
http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/phoncart.htm

Def. a standard mount.  I'm going to look for something sold with a headshell attached.

dwc

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2006, 11:20 pm »
So if the wife will also be using it, would something like a Stanton 680 EL II be an upgrade from the Pickering?

Thanks,
Dan

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2006, 03:45 am »
dwc/don,

www.VinylEngine.com is a place where you may be able to find out more about your particular inherited TT and cartridge...and research others.

It's a great resource for vinyl-istas like us.

Regards.

dwc

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2006, 10:21 pm »
Thanks ChairGuy,

Followup: I went into deep web research mode last night, and spoke today with Kevin at KABUSA.  I'm giong to keep the xv-15 catridge, and have ordered a replacement stylus for it, a Pickering D11s [True line contact Stereohederon, fits all XV15's and TL1, 2 and 3.] which should be a fine needle.

Now I'm looking for a good phono stage in my budget...

- Dan
(dwc are my initials)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2006, 06:42 am »
ooops, sorry, DAN it is then  :)

Kevin's a class act - he'll set you straight without sales crap.

Lots of choices in phono stages.....surprising what you can buy now for not too terribly much (unless you try to).