Searching for a GREAT monitor!

sjh500

« on: 2 Feb 2006, 03:16 pm »
Hello everyone, I have been using Meadowlark Kestral 2's for the past 2 years and am ready to move on. I use a Cayin 35 watt el34 based intergrated tube amp and I have a Audio Note cd 3.1x coming as my source. My room is 12x15x8 and has french doors at the end of the long side. I have been looking at the Reimer Mucculogh's and some of the Tyler's along with Harbeth's. The only ones I have been able to listen to are the Harbeth 30's, thought they had very nice midrange which is important as I listen to a lot of female vocals, the bass was very good especially for a monitor BUT I thought that the upper end was restrained and not life like or "accurate".  That being said I don't like a speaker that is going to let me know that the treble is present, I like balance and a natural sound across the board. I would be happy to find a monitor that could reach down to the mid thirty's or below with in room response. Overall I want a speaker that sucks you in to the emotions of the music being played while not thinking about what the speaker is lacking!
  My question is, can the sp tech. speakers do all of this for around 2000$? Second, I saw that there is a new speaker, the Essence with two bass units? Is this the one? I live in Austin so if anybody has any of these speakers hear I would love to come listen. Thanks for all of your help ahead of time! :mrgreen:
  Also, if anyone has had experience with some of the more well known monitors out their maybe you could do some comparisons for me that I may have heard. I have listened to Vienna acoustics Haydn, thought it was ok, One of the Totem small monitors thought it was not musical and sonus Faber concertino didn't like very much.

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2006, 03:58 pm »
I'm considering a pair of the Timepiece 2.1's but they're about double your budget.. The prices are on their site..

One thing I seem to hear a lot is that they seem to like to have the volume cranked a bit.. And I notice you listen to Nick Drake... which isn't something I'd enjoy super loud.

How do the SPTech's do at lower volumes?  Is there one that performs better than others for lower volume listening?

-C

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2006, 04:23 pm »
I think they offer a kit.  Maybe you can use some inexpensive cabinets like the ones from Madisound or Partsexpress.  I don't know the size requirements for the design but I know several people really like the sound of the SP speakers.

J

sjh500

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2006, 04:35 pm »
Carlman, that was just starting out this morning! I am now cranking Beck! But, I may go back to something more mellow OR I could go straight to Radiohead :o  I really do listen to a lot of different types of music. Sean

reefrus

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2006, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
One thing I seem to hear a lot is that they seem to like to have the volume cranked a bit.. And I notice you listen to Nick Drake... which isn't something I'd enjoy super loud.

In my system, both TP2.0 and Revelations MR1 II sound amazing from 75db all the way to 100db with ease (in fact, 110db for the Revelations).

Quote from: sjh500
My question is, can the sp tech. speakers do all of this for around 2000$?

Yes, the TP2.1 in studio finish cost $3k (a bit over your budget) will do.  I'm the dealer here in the Rocky Mountain region, but I really encourage you to call Bob at SP Tech. I bet he'll be happy to work with you. :wink:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2006, 10:20 pm »
sjh500,

Interesting title for your post.  The Timepiece 2.1's were designed to be exactly that - great monitors.  The key word here being "monitors."  That doesn't mean "little boxes that need to be placed on stands" - either.  Far from it.  Our definition is one used by professional recording engineers.

To be honest, our original intent was to target the pro recording market first.  Problem was...lack of sufficient marketing budget.  The first "audiophile review" was of the original Timepiece 2.0 by Bill Roberts on enjoythemusic.com.  That came about by happen-stance.  I never contacted ETM for a review.  Bill Roberts stumbled across our website and contacted me first - offering to do a review.  Well, I could hardly say "no."

That's when things really started to take off for us.  We had received a review by Steve Murphy on Pro Audio Review magazine - and a glowing one at that.  Fu8nny thing was, it never resulted in a single sale.  Less than a week after Bill's review, we had our first sale outside our local community.

It seems the reason for this is two-fold.  First, even though they are highly accurate, our speakers are still very "musical" as well.  This is not often the claim for pro studio monitors.  My research has led me to believe that the accuracy so claimed by many pro products is not the problem at all.  It's the actual result of insufficient accuracy in several important parameters.  A flat frequency response, high power handling and controlled dispersion that is the basis for many pro products claims, is only part of the story.  Many of them exhibit relatively high levels of distortion, particularly at high frequencies.  In essence, they're not as "accurate" as they would lead you to believe.  That's why they're not musical.  There is no such thing as "excess accuracy."  Instead, there is a false pretense of accuracy and an actual lack thereof.

On the other hand, when you do get very close to true accuracy across all parameters, the reproduced sound takes on a musicality that few engineers, let alone audiophiles have ever actually heard.  Accuracy is our best friend, not the enemy many would have you believe.  The key is that one must embrace accuracy in every possible parameter, not pick and choose where to apply it and then make exaggerated claims across the board.  All that has managed to do is convince many that accuracy is bad.  I shall take personal liberties here:  "Woe unto that wicked generation that calls evil good and good evil."  That's essentially what has happened to the term "accuracy" in the last decade or so of high fidelity audio.

Anyway...how's that for a little dissertation on the subject.  I'll stop now.  Hope this helps.  Upshot - we make "great" monitors.  Why?  Because I said so. :wink:

Carlman,
One thing I seem to hear a lot is that they seem to like to have the volume cranked a bit..

That was more true in the old days of the Timepiece 2.0, etc.  Playing them a little louder tended to "mask" some of that tweeter's shortcomings.  Nowadays, they're smooth as butter.  Dynamic Linearity is part of the "accuracy" thingy above.  If they don't sound good at all volumes, they're not dynamically linear.  If they're not dynamically linear, they're not accurate - at least not sufficiently accurate.  That was one of the things that needed "fixing" in the old design.  From my observations, I content that we've got that fixed now.  God knows the quest for improvement never ends, but at their present level of performance, I can't even detect a performance parameter that isn't living up to my expectations for their price point.  At least none that I would want to try to fix.  So I guess what I'm saying is, I have no real clue what to do to make them better - or even where I would start.  Personally, I believe the Timepiece 2.1 is about as good as anyone could ever build a single 8-inch woofer. 2-way speaker.  If someone knows of any speaker it's size with equal or better performance, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

-Bob

bhobba

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2006, 01:44 am »
Hello everyone, I have been using Meadowlark Kestral 2's for the past 2 years and am ready to move on. I use a Cayin 35 watt el34 based intergrated tube amp and I have a Audio Note cd 3.1x coming as my source.

Amplifier power is a rather interesting thing - check put what Dave Ellis has to say:
http://www.ellisaudio.com/wattsratings.htm
'Given 85db/watt speakers, a good El34 push pull (about 35wpc) or a good 60wpc stereo amplifier will get the job done with more than enough power.'  And the Timepieces happen to be 85db.  

Just to acquaint you with how good an experienced loudspeaker designer thinks they are (yes he designed them for many years) check out
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1003/sptechnology.htm

The only ones I have been able to listen to are the Harbeth 30's, thought they had very nice midrange which is important as I listen to a lot of female vocals,

You will find reviewers claim the midrange of the Timepiece is simply the best they have ever heard - and that is the old Model eg
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=16259
'I heard details in the midrange that I had never heard before.From quiet ambient sounds to harmonic structures, all other speakers I've heard have failed to resolve midrange like the TimePieces. A huge thumbs up'

the bass was very good especially for a monitor BUT I thought that the upper end was restrained and not life like or "accurate".

Now we are getting to another great strength of the Timepices - they produce accurate bass to 29hz.

That being said I don't like a speaker that is going to let me know that the treble is present, I like balance and a natural sound across the board.

IMHO I think that is where the timepieces excel - Bob has gone to a lot of trouble to locate the 'best' tweeter he can find.  The outcome was rather surprising - evidently the famous Seas Millennium or Hiquphon was not good enough - he used a Scan Speak.
http://206.13.113.199/ncdiyaudio/mark/Testing/testing.htm
It is now accepted by many that the air etc of the Millennium and Hiquphon is a form of distortion - distortion not present in Bobs speakers.
'What to make of the ow2's mediocre nonlinear distortion performance?  Well, think about this. Perceived detail and "air" can occur for a number of reasons.  Good off axis performance can do this. Good linear distortion performance can do this. But modest amounts of higher order nonlinear distortion can also increase apparent detail. In this fashion, I suppose the ow2 is the winner. But only in the sense that "it gives you all the detail that's in the recording, and then some..."'  
Because of this some have commented the treble takes a little getting used to compared to others you may have heard.  But one thing you can be sure of is it will not be overblown or tireing to listen to.

I would be happy to find a monitor that could reach down to the mid thirty's or below with in room response.

Then you have found it - the Timepices will do that with ease.

Overall I want a speaker that sucks you in to the emotions of the music being played while not thinking about what the speaker is lacking! My question is, can the sp tech. speakers do all of this for around 2000?.

That may be the timepieces weakens in your case.  It is $2995 - only you can decide if that fits in your around $2000.00.  For what you get I think they are an unbeatable bargain - I would say they have the best price performance ratio of any speaker I have seen - which I why I purchased them.  However you are the only one that can decide if you want to spend that sort of money.

Second, I saw that there is a new speaker, the Essence with two bass units? Is this the one?

The essences have a single woofer - the presents are an MTM ie have two woofers.  This is Bobs more affordable product and while they sound very good are not a no compromise design - reviews mention you can hear things like cabinet resonance's.  The Timepieces use constrained layer construction that is reputably very dead.  When I said before they had the best cost/performance ratio of any speaker I know of I meant of those speakers I consider to have no or virtually no audible coloration - as the review says:
'What sound?? They essentially make virtually no coloring to the reproduced music. At least none that I can hear per se. I do not hear the normal "thumbprint" character that most loudspeakers exhibit in the bass response. Balance is maintained from the very low 30 Hz range to beyond the range of normal human hearing. All the talk of imaging, bloom, warmth, tiss, spit, sizzle, glare and other words used to describe the sound just does not apply here. These loudspeakers were designed for critical monitoring of recordings during the mix-down and mastering stage. What they do, is turn the electrical signal into an acoustic signature as accurately as possible, at all input levels from way below one watt RMS of power (sans low organ pedals at milliwatts) to an incredible 1,000 watts peak per channel!'
I know of no other speaker anywhere near its price that you can say that about.

I live in Austin so if anybody has any of these speakers hear I would love to come listen. Thanks for all of your help ahead of time!

As you can see I am very enthused about the Timepieces.  So enthused, because I live in Australia, I purchased a pair unheard.  I know it is a leap of faith but I firmly believe these are one speaker that can be purchased unheard.  Probably your best bet since you live in the USA is to make a trip to a dealer like Response or Jamn audio and have a listen and compare them to other brands.  Please understand that if you want to go to your local Hi Fi store, listen and compare brands, then you pay big for this privilege - you have to put a large markup to make it worthwhile for most dealers to stock it.  If Bob went that path his speakers would cost a lot more.  He has steered a middle course of having a few selected dealers stock it.  

I'm considering a pair of the Timepiece 2.1's but they're about double your budget..

Not quite double - a little under 50%.

The timepieces are built without compromise - designed to sound equally as good at high volume as at low.  Subjectively we judge a speakers loudness by the level of distortion.  Since Bobs speakers can play frighteningly loud with virtually no distortion the tendency is to always crank up the volume.  Bobs speakers are not alone in this.  I once owned a pair of Gale 402's that were known for exactly the same trait - they liked to be played loud.  After much experimenting I discovered it is not they liked to be played loud it was because they had such low distortion they could be played loud so people kept on winding it up.  After a while though I found listening at realistic volumes was more satisfying.  Since for me I listen to vocalists like cranky Frankie that meant about 75db (the level of speaking loud) at about 1 meter from the speakers -  not loud at all.  However if you want to listen to rock music at concert leveles as Bob said you will need a big ass amp.  However the original poster gets by with 35 watts which will not produce rock concert levels so I suspect that is not what they are after.

How do the SPTech's do at lower volumes?

Think about this - a speaker designed for critical monitoring in a recording studio must excel at low volume levels.

Is there one that performs better than others for lower volume listening?

At anywhere near the cost of the Timepieces? - IMHO no.  Much more expensive speakers like the War Reference One of the Orions may (and that is a big may) but they will cost you a lot more.

sjh500

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2006, 02:08 am »
Thanks bhobba! That was very nice and insighful. I have a friend living in Sydney and loves it! He says the girls are fantastic....anyway... :D  I think I have made my decision and as soon as I sell my current speakers I will be going with the Timepieces! Thanks for everyone of your responses :!:  Sean

bhobba

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2006, 04:30 am »
Hi Sean

Thanks bhobba! That was very nice and insighful. I have a friend living in Sydney and loves it! He says the girls are fantastic....anyway... :D  I think I have made my decision and as soon as I sell my current speakers I will be going with the Timepieces! Thanks for everyone of your responses :!:  Sean

You have made a very good choice.  These are speakers you keep for life - no upgrading and changing - just a great speaker that will stay great for many years.  You will need to upgrade your electronics long before the speaker.

Thanks
Bill

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2006, 04:33 am »
Yes sir, VERY good choice. I think you will be extremely please with this decission. Do keep us posted on the progress.