Khartago 'Extreme' and bass response

AJS

« on: 1 Feb 2006, 04:27 pm »
I'm considering a new 2-ch. Khartago 'Extreme', (Plitron, bigger caps, improved resistor values, etc.) and if I like it I may go to the Khartago Ex Mono's.

Speakers for the time being are JBL 4412 Studio Monitors: 3-way, 12" ported, dynamic bookshelves. I've measured the actual in-room response at the listening position: -6dB @ 31.5 Hz (Track 29) on Stereophile Test CD 1, (referenced to 1kHz = 0dB).

The 4412's are rated:

- 150w continuous pink noise (IEC 268-5 standard: pink noise with 12/dB octave rolloff below 40Hz and above 5000Hz with a peak-to-average ratio of 6dB, two hours duration.)
- .5dB-1.5dB of Power Compression between 85dB-105dB
- 90dB/1W/1M
- Low-Pass: 800Hz
- Impedance is not less than about 7 ohms from 20Hz to woofer cut-off; lowest impedance point is about 5 ohms from 9kHz-12kHz.
- Phase Angle vs. Impedance is nothing radical, and so is not hard to drive.

My question is: How good is the bass response of the Khartago Extreme? I've heard a bit about other aspects of its sound, but since it has lower output/smaller power supply than the Stratos', how good is it at plumbing the depths/control/dynamics/clarity within its power range?

Of course, the Mono's would do better than the Stereo version - that's a given.

I do know what great bass can be, since I've owned several very good amps including Audio Research Classic 120's, B&K M200 Sonata's, Krell KSA-150, Lazarus 200/200, Levinson No. 383, Mesa Baron, and IMHO one of the finest powered subs ever - the mighty REL Stentor III. :notworthy:

I'm also a :drums: in my spare time, which spoils me for better sound from an audio system.

Any Khartago owners care to comment?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [/list:u]

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2006, 03:37 am »
Hey AJS,

I'm a new Khartago owner (with upgraded board that cost original owner A6M-Zero $90 more...don't know what that exactly entails tho).

I run a much smaller 2 way Linaeum Tower speaker and the bass response is absolutely terrific.  Before this, the best bass came from an assortment of Class D amps I had here....but the bass never had the right texture.  It was tight, but not tuneful.  The Khartago has both enough of it and a certain rightness to it that the other (very modestly priced) amps did not have.

I am so jazzed about the relative value of Odyssey gear that I called Klaus and fully allowed him to gently guide me into the Khartago Mono's in a few weeks.  

I'm actually happily stunned at the bass response, tunefulness and overall value of these amps.  The Khartago more my speed than Stratos in both cost and dimensions (two Khartago's still fit in my rack, 2 Stratos' would not)

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:42 am »
Missing the hell out of that Khartago. What a wonderful piece...

AJS

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2006, 01:46 am »
Chair Guy,

Appreciate the reply. Do you have any experience with amps other than the Class Ds you mentioned, to compare against the sound of the K Monos or Stereo?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2006, 03:21 am »
Quote from: AJS
Chair Guy,

Appreciate the reply. Do you have any experience with amps other than the Class Ds you mentioned, to compare against the sound of the K Monos or Stereo?

AJS,

I don't own the mono's yet - I have just taken it on faith from Klaus that they are more than 2x as good.  I was so taken by the stereo version that the leap to mono's should be well worth it.

My amp is neither vast, nor expensive.  Since my return to this hobby after a 6 year hiatus (1994-2000; marriage and two business' got in the way) I have sytematically moved my way from source onward.  My front end firmed up in the past couple years, my preamp likes and dislikes were pretty much satisfied in the past year...now on to amps.

In amps, I've owned an NAD integrated (forgot the model - older one), Audiosource Amp3 (nuthin' wrong with it for the $250 I paid for it), Superphon DM200 (soft, but lovely sounding on ez passages), and most recently, an van Alstine Omegastar 240/3ex.  Among these AB amps,  the star was certainly AVA amp....I could certainly see how someone's list might just plain old stop there.  It was just lacking that certain something to me...that's such an individual decision I know.

EDIT - forgot that I owned Norh Multiamps for about year, too...tried as stereo, monoblocks and active settings. Lightweight barely begins to describe their bass attibutes....but, in some areas, a decent amp.  Not worth $1800.00 per pair new, but less-than-half that amt used is a decent deal for someone. Not me, tho.

I've owned or own a modified Sonic Impact, Red Wine Audio SLA driven TEAC, a bone stock TEAC with tweeks (see crtics circle for a post on it about a month ago) and the redoubtably excellent value JVC hybrid digi receivers F10 and ES1sl.  The AC powered digi gear benefitted dramctically from excellent mains conditioning and reduction of RFI and EMI where possible.

I believe in the future of Class D amplification...but not at the prices we are seeing today. There is just too many inefficiencies in the distribution chain right now...that will be ferreted out in time.

I've heard hundreds of amps at shows and dealers.  Tube amps haven't lit my fuse...the best SS amp of memory was a class AB, hi current, YBA model that cost north of $3000.00. I believe my listening needs, 12 x 15' room, do not require that kind of expenditure.

From the moment I turned the Khartago on I knew it was special. The lights dimmed for a second as it sucked juice in (not since my Superphon have I noted that) and it played for 10 hours consecutvely without strain with the Tempest Extreme leading it.  This was the first amp of several to do that.

I felt it had exemplary control of the drivers (bottom, middle and upper portions) and created a vast soundfield in front of me on the gamut of music...Klaus says the mono's are 2x as good in every regard that I liked the stereo version.

Regards - John / TheChairGuy

AJS

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2006, 06:15 am »
Well that's a much better go 'round of sound, and helpful for what it is. My experience in amps is as I've described above, and is not insignificant, but I also feel that I haven't yet really dug beneath the surface.

Many designs to try, too little time/money. I am not enamored of so many of the digital mock-ups I've seen on the market thus far, but I'm not averse to them either. As you say: time will tell the tale on Class D.

If I were pressed to admit the best sound in a SS design that I've yet heard, I'd say probably the Pass Labs X .5 series. I haven't had a chance yet on their XA's, but I'm sure they're no slouches.

Klaus' designs however are approachable $-wise, and that's why I'm giving them a go.