Ref 8.5 fill me in?

moray james

• moray james cables
Ref 8.5 fill me in?
« on: 30 Jan 2006, 08:03 am »
Jason: my Ref 8's were recently purchased used but were updated in Aug of 05. Further these amps came with a "wide band mod" which has not yet been installed. Just the other day one of the mono blocks came down with an odd problem. The blue LED has gone very dim and now looks green. The LED works but is very low in output. Everything else about the amp seems to be fine.
   Should I install the "wide band mod"? What does it do exactly and what is the sonic affect. What is new and different about the Ref 8.5 Vs what I currently have now? What should I do about the LED? Thanks for the info. Regards Moray James.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Ref 8.5 fill me in?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2006, 08:30 am »
Blue LED is notorious for having quality problem but peoppe in the industry would rather lives with the problem than getting a different color :). We provide replacement blue LEDs. Just email support@nuforce.com.
What you're referring to for your Ref 8 is probably the 8.02 upgrade kit. If it hasn't been installed, unless you're skill at replaceing Opamp (with 8 pins that need to be simultaneously heat up using two soldering iron), you should send them to us for service. We can also do the measurement to make sure it confirms to spec.
Anyway, email us to receive instructions if you are going to try it on your own.

moray james

• moray james cables
So tell me about the Ref 8.5
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2006, 11:06 pm »
Jason: thanks for the information on my amp. Can you fill me in on the changes in the 8.5? How is it different from the 8.02 and what has changed in the performance of the amp. I don't have to have detailed specifics on the technical differences I am more interested in the sound. any info would be of interest though. Thanks again, regards Moray James.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Ref 8.5 fill me in?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2006, 08:47 am »
Ref 8.5 is simply Ref 9 with a 100W SMPS. Same case, same circuit board, same connectors, everything the same except the SMPS.