Anyone built the open baffles yet?

gprro

« on: 30 Jan 2006, 01:16 am »
Feel like sharing. Pics ,sound, anything?

danm

Re: Anyone built the open baffles yet?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2006, 03:22 am »
Quote from: gprro
Feel like sharing. Pics ,sound, anything?

Well I'm going to be ordering a pair of the mtmww's and a wmtmw so I'll let you know when I'm done :wink:

gprro

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2006, 03:50 am »
Yeah, I'm trying to decide what configuration to get. Maybe I'll start a builders thread when I start. I'm thinking of trying the 4 woofer version as a mtmwwww if it's possible, or maybe the 2 woofer version in a tl.

Joey Skinner

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2006, 03:50 am »
I picked up the open baffle kit Friday. I'll post pics and other info but this will not be a weekend project :? . It comes with 50 ft. of wire just for the crossover network :o . Lots of mdf dust to be made.

tjt123

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2006, 03:53 am »
Well I've got a pile of parts in my basement just the right size to build 3 speakers :D and I'll be starting them soon, but it will probably be an on and off project for a while so I'm sure others will beat me to completion.  I certainly will share as things go though.

-TIM

gprro

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2006, 03:53 am »
The crossovers have me a little scared. The last time I soldered something it sucked. I need a new iron also.

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2006, 04:12 am »
has the mtmww version been released already??

danm

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2006, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: Cacophonix
has the mtmww version been released already??

I don't think so but I believe they're close.

Joey Skinner

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2006, 11:57 pm »
I'm wondering what people are going to use for powering the sub section. Danny had small plate amps in his demos but I can't remember what the wattage rating was, maybe 70 or 100w.  How about this amp from PE: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-802
The cutout size is 6 1/2 W x 7 3/4 H, 75W into 8 ohms and they are on sale $75 ea.

mpauly

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2006, 12:09 am »
When I was looking at the plans, I inquired about which plate amp to use and asked about the apex jr/sr amps.  Here's Danny's response (hopefully he doesn't mind me posting it).

"You can use a much smaller amp on these. I'd look for a narrow plate amp that will fit the back of the box. 100 watts of power will be just enough"

Maybe a little more power than those daytons, but who knows, they might work?

machine

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2006, 02:21 am »
I had Danny throw in another set of binding posts with my kit.

Couldn't easily find a narrow plate amp, although AV123.com uses some in their products and you might be able to persuade them to sell you a few.

Moving this stuff outboard also allows me to put the crossovers in the Sub enclosure.

I picked up a Paradigm X-30 crossover and will be running the speakers full range and using the crossover to fill in the low end from 40hz to 50hz on down.

gitarretyp

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2006, 02:55 am »
Regarding the plate amps (i haven't discussed this with danny, so i'll be curious about the response as well), i think the 300w bash amps on pe would work, if you turned them vertically.

Joey Skinner

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2006, 03:29 am »
To fit in the cabinet the amp can be no wider than 6 1/2". The Bash is 7" and I think 300w would be overkill. The dayton is the only amp I've found that will fit. Maybe Danny will let us know what amp he is using in the demos.

gitarretyp

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2006, 03:57 am »
Quote from: Joey Skinner
To fit in the cabinet the amp can be no wider than 6 1/2". The Bash is 7" and I think 300w would be overkill. The dayton is the only amp I've found that will fit. Maybe Danny will let us know what amp he is using in the demos.

That 7" is the outer width (height) of the bash amp. That's smaller than the Dayton SA100 mentioned earlier, which is the same or very similar to the amp danny has on his open baffles. Also, the 300W is spec'd at 4 ohms. So, it's likely more like 200W into 8ohms. Besides, what's wrong with too much power?

Joey Skinner

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2006, 04:16 am »
My bad, I thought 7" was the cut out. It should fit fine.
" I think 300w would be overkill"
I can't believe my hands typed that! :oops:

Joey Skinner

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2006, 03:14 am »
There was a misprint in the instruction sheet. The cut out area of side panel G should be 14.5" x 11.5" instead of 15.625" x 11.5".

Joey Skinner

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2006, 12:22 am »
I'm mostly done with one cabinet but I'm having trouble with the crossover. I can't figure out how to fit all the components on a piece of pegboard and get it to fit through the woofer hole on the front baffle. Danny, do you have a photo of a completed crossover? And how close can the crossover be to the back of the woofer?

Nick V

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2006, 01:22 am »
You could always build small external enclosures for the crossovers. That would also make it alot easier if you're into constant tweaking.

danm

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2006, 07:29 pm »
So,.............. Has anyone completed these yet? I'm particularly interested in users impressions of the midrange and to a lesser extent the treble as I'm planning on building the mtmww 'shorty' which should sound identical for the most part.

sl_1800

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2006, 02:11 am »
I have not built any of GR's speakers but I did hear the tall open baffle at GR last Saturday.  They are a really good speaker and at the price of the kit they are an amazing deal.  I just built a new pair of speakers, if I had not, then I would be after a set of the open baffles from GR.