Grado RS2's & VHP-1 headphone amp.

DaveX

« on: 29 Jan 2006, 01:50 am »
Would the Grado RS2's & VHP-1 headphone amp work well together. Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2006, 02:56 am »
I haven't tried the RS-2, but VHP and RS-1's sound great together.
We use Grado SR60 & 80 (with different ear pads) for testing and they sound very good also...they just get better as you go up the line.

DaveX

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2006, 05:00 pm »
Dusty, I am expecting delivery of the VHP-1 headphone amp and VAC-1 power supply this Wed, my guess is that I will have to cut off and fit a UK mains plug on the end of the power cord. What amperage fuse should I use in the plug, also is there a fuse in the VAC-1. Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2006, 05:09 pm »
VAC-1 has an internal fuse (.5A), At 240v .25A will work fine.

-Dusty-

DaveX

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2006, 06:33 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio

-Dusty-

".5A .25A" ?

Here in the UK, mains plugs normally use a 3 Amp, 5 Amp or 13 Amp fuse, I have never heard of a UK .25 Amp mains plug fuse. Are you sure about that decimal point. In which case I would assume a 3 Amp mains plug fuse would be safe. Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2006, 11:53 pm »
".5A .25A" ?
Here in the UK, mains plugs normally use a 3 Amp, 5 Amp or 13 Amp fuse, I have never heard of a UK .25 Amp mains plug fuse. Are you sure about that decimal point. In which case I would assume a 3 Amp mains plug fuse would be safe. Thanks.

Yes the VAC-1 is internally fused at .5A (1/2A). I would use the lowest rating available on the cord.

DaveX

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2006, 09:31 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio

-Dusty-

Hi Dusty, is that a slow or fast blow fuse. Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2006, 10:26 pm »
fast blow

giorgino1

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2006, 02:05 am »
Hi Dave - I live in the UK and will be asking Keith at Angelsound for a demo. I'd be grateful for your thoughts on how the Grado and CI Audio matches up.  Are you a long term headphone listener? If yes, what previous headphone/amp systems have you used?
Regards

George

DaveX

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2006, 02:37 am »
Quote from: giorgino1
Hi Dave - I live in the UK and will be asking Keith at Angelsound for a demo. I'd be grateful for your thoughts on how the Grado and CI Audio matches up.  Are you a long term headphone listener? If yes, what previous headphone/amp systems have you used?
Regards

George

Hi, The Grado RS-2's sound nice with the VHP-1/VAC-1. I run mine from the tape out so that I can select any input, but it probably sounds better if you run it off a direct source. Dusty says the Grado RS-1's sound great together. I'm not a long term headphone listener, I once had a pair of Sennheiser 580's, the Grado's are a much better headphone in my opinion.

giorgino1

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2006, 11:46 am »
Dave - Thanks for your input. I've been keeping an eye out for a pair of comfortable headphones that don't give a "ball of sound" effect which I've experienced with all my headphones. I've had the Sennheiser electrostatics and they did that.

(General question) Is that effect more due to the headphones or the amp?