Trivia - Flipping the Billing

Captain Humble

« on: 28 Jan 2006, 03:19 pm »
A few weeks ago, Lonewolf turned me on to the Johnny Griffin and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Quintet recording entitled "TOUGH TENORS" recorded in 1960. Thank you Chris.

While doing some research on these guys I discovered that they recorded a second album in 1970 with the same title, "TOUGH TENORS".  Note that on this album they changed the billing to the Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis and Johnny Griffin Quintet.

Each album carries it's own exclusive set of tracks.

No, I don't have too much time on my hands.  My ADS :hyper:  kicked in and I stopped doing what I should have been doing to read about recording artists.

Any other examples of jazz groups that flip the billing?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2006, 07:21 am »
Glad you liked the cd Jeff...its a good one !!!
    Any other examples of jazz groups that flip the billing?
    [/list:u]
      Here's one.... :hyper: [/list:u]
      At the time of its original release in 1958, Cal Tjader/Stan Getz Sextet listed Latin vibesman Tjader first. When it was reissued four years later after Getz’s commercial success with “Desafinado,” the record company flipped the billing. On the sleeve of Fantasy’s new SACD reissue, the cover is the original with Tjader first (he’s on the left in the picture) but the spine lists the saxophonist first. Ah well, the fleeting vagaries of jazz fame.

[/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]