question re M130 woofer- (and AV1 construction stuff)

Jeff G

Finshed the AV1s tonight. My first speaker kit. Was a blast!!

Made the cabinets with .75" MDF. They have 1.5" baffles/rears panels and .75" everywhere else. The baffles and rear panels are made of 2 .75" peices.  The "inside" .75" peice is cut .75" smaller than the baffle. This formed a .75" rabbet along the fronts and backs (Lots of glue up surface area). The sides and top/bottom are joined to each other with biscuits and there is a dowel-type brace side to side. They are stout little mothers.

Did a back gloss finish. What a pain. Started with a good quality primer, then gloss latex black paint (lots of thin coats and 400/600/1500 grit sandpaper). Never did get things right. Added 3 coats of oil-based gloss poly (sanding between coats). Much better. I think it may have been easier/better to paint them flat back and then add gloss poly. Spraying them would have been far easier (no good booth). Better yet- I'll pay for  veneer next time. It's prettier and would take lots less time.

Ok- the question already.

One woofer has "M12" and the other has "M16" stamped on the front. Just want to make sure one is not a 16ohm driver.

Can't wait to listen tomorrow-
Jeff

Watson

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2006, 04:35 am »
I'm curious about the "Mxx" designation too.  I bought two of the M130s for a personal project and they both are stamped with "M10".

Jeff G

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2006, 04:17 pm »
That's reassuring. Sounds like it is a manufacturing code or something, rather than a label.
Jeff

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:59 pm »
Those are just batch numbers for the surrounds.

All the drivers are the same and everything I have right now were all made in the same production run.

Jeff G

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2006, 04:32 pm »
THanks for the clarification-

The little fellas sound really nice. Much different than my Paradigm 20s. Specifically, much more laid back and musical. The vocals sound a bit more rounded out. Obviously all subjective. THey have broken in about 10 hours. I am using them with a sub. Initally, had them crossed at 60hz. On one occasion, one of the speakers bottomed out a bit. It was during a really loud orchestral passage. Raised the croosver to 80Hz and have had no problems. Not quite fair to expect a 5" driver to to play 60Hz at 110dB.!! Look forward to listening a bit more tonight. These little guys are a great value. These were build for a friend of mine. I am trying to figure out how to get an AV3S in my setup. I want to hold out for the new XBL driver technology.
JG