Who's Using Squeeze Box with Nuforce

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« on: 23 Jan 2006, 09:48 am »
Are you using SB2 with Nuforce amps? We tested it in our lab without noise problem. One of our customer is having a ground loop noise with his setup so we want to check around (he is in Europe). If you have SB2 with Nuforce, please post your setup. Thanks.

referenceaudionz

« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2006, 09:10 am »
I've just demo'd NuForce in a customer's system with Squeezebox 2. Very good sound from it direct, far better through an older AkDac. No problems on either. We used the customer's Marantz integrated for pre-out (which was transformed by the Zu Mother power cable. Ponderous bass and shut-in sound without). I'll get him to post details of his setup once his amps land.

eastein

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2006, 01:08 am »
running a wireless SB3 analog output to an IA-7  it sounds great, no problems at all

csc

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2006, 06:14 am »
I am running a wireless SB2 digitally connected to a Sherwood/Newcastle P-965 with Ref 8b's...no problems at all.

revolver

Noise With SB Driving Ref 8
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2006, 06:32 am »
Hi Jason.  I get hum/buzz/hiss that is quite loud plugging either an SB2 or an SB3 directly into Nuforce Ref 8 amps.  The noise goes away if I use a P8 or Plinius M8 preamp in between.  The noise is there regardless of changing cables or power supply to the SB.  The noise is louder on the right channel than the left.  If I change things around channel-wise the noise is always louder on the right than left.  There is way more other gear and cables close to the right than the left, which is presumably why that channel is always louder.  While connecting one SB to the Nuforces, and plugging a second SB into the power the noise increases provided there is an interconnect connected to the second SB and it does not matter much whether the other end is connected to anything or not.  Lastly I live in a place where we use 230V supply.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2006, 08:52 pm »
Revolver,
Did you have the 8.02 upgrade on the Ref8?

revolver

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2006, 09:07 am »
No, but I have replaced the rubbishy polyester input caps and put a choke on the speaker output (otherwise the amps sounded horrid).  They sound very very nice now.

revolver

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2006, 08:55 pm »
Oh and I changed the signal wiring too.  I can understand how Sassen did not like his Nuforces since his pictures reveal his amps were the same vintage as mine when I first got them.  In my setup everything from the mid-range up sounded hard.  Following the simple mods I did they now sound very nice indeed.  What do I mean by nice?  Well I sold my Rowland Model 201s.  I will receive some 9.02s shortly and it will be interesting to hear how much better they are - I will also try the SB direct into them to see what happens.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2006, 06:54 am »
Hi,
The 8.02 includes an R/C network that will solve the Squeezebox problem.  Looks like you're handy with modification.  You can send it back to us for the update, or you can do it yourself.  Please contact support@nuforce.

revolver

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:55 am »
I am more than happy to put an RC network in place.  In fact I did at one point put a zobel (4Ohm, 0.1uF and 4Ohm) in series across the speaker terminals and I think it did reduce noise a bit.  At the time I saw it as using a zobel or a choke to remove the hardness in the sound and concluded the better sound was achieved with the choke than the zobel.  I don't think I tried them at the same time.  I will contact Nuforce directly to find out the RC values.  Thanks!