Rob, Eric, Bob, you guys listening?

bubba966

« on: 9 May 2003, 03:42 am »
I was just watching Equilibrium, and I'd forgotten how good this movie is. You three should pick this disc up Tuesday when it's available. I'd bet that none of you have even heard of it, as everytime I've mentioned it everyone looks at me like this :?

It's honestly too bad no one saw it in the theaters. It's a great movie that deserves to be watched.

I'm sure there's a few others around here that'd appreciate it as well. Probably Josh, Tyson, Marbles, Mike, & Brad (I'm sure I'm probably forgetting someone).

Pick it up next week.

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2003, 04:34 am »
Never heard of it, will check it out next week!
Thanks for the heads up

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2003, 12:42 pm »
Haven't heard of it either, but I'll give it a look.
-Pete

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2003, 01:40 pm »
Here's what you'll be looking for next Tuesday.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2003, 01:28 am »
Hmmm, that one slipped under my radar, too.  I take it it's some type of scifi flick?

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2003, 02:27 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Hmmm, that one slipped under my radar, too.  I take it it's some type of scifi flick?

Like I said, no one has heard of this film. Which is too bad as it's a damn good movie.

It's a mild scifi flick. Look for it on your trip to BB next week. It's a $30 list disc, so BB should probably have it for $17-$20 on Tuesday.

bob82274

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2003, 05:14 pm »
I didn't see it in the theatres (I remember seeing the preview) but I was going to pick it up when it came out on DVD due to some good reviews.  I really enjoy the 1984 kinda stuff so this one should be good.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2003, 05:50 pm »
Quote from: bob82274
I didn't see it in the theatres (I remember seeing the preview) but I was going to pick it up when it came out on DVD due to some good reviews.  I really enjoy the 1984 kinda stuff so this one should be good.

:o You've actually heard about it?!

I actually got around to finishing it last night. Woulda finished watching it Thursday night, but one of my roommates came home and I didn't want to watch it as cranked as I was so late at night when someone was around the house.

I had forgotten exactly how awesome some of the gun fights are. And I appreciated the rest of the movie more the second time around.

I'm not very familiar with 1984 or Farenheight 451, so I can't say how it stacks up on those lines. But Bale does a hell of an acting job. Still don't care for Diggs in this movie, and I usually like him. And the "Gun Kata" fighting style is bad ass.

I don't understand why Dimension buried this film. They dropped 20 mil on making it, then sat on it for 2 years. Spent another mil on making 300 prints, and who knows how much on print shipping. Didn't bother to advertise it at all ( I don't recall seeing any trailers, just one poster for it). Then they drop it in the middle of Pothead 2 & TTT on only 300 screens. So it lasted all of 2 weeks, grossing just over a mil. Which I'm sure didn't even cover the cost of the prints and shipping them.

Usually when a studio tries to kill a film like that, it's because it sucks (Imposter is a perfect example of that). Equilibrium is far, far removed from the world of suck...

bob82274

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2003, 06:15 pm »
Well I should say that when I saw "a trailer" it was online.  I don't remember ever actually seeing one in the theatre.  As for 1984 and 451 you should give them a read.  451 is an easier read and can be knocked out pretty quickly.  I need to go back and read 1984 as it has been a number of years now since I first read it.

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2003, 06:24 pm »
Read?

Not sure I remember how that's done. Didn't get the best edjumactions at Seattle public schools... :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2003, 06:32 pm »
So BB oughta have it this Tues?  I'm a sucker for just about any decent SciFi.

I even plan to watch the Matrix before long! :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2003, 06:37 pm »
Well it's released Tuesday. But if BB pulls the same crap they do with SB discs, who knows when they'll get it.

Actually going to sit though the torture of Keanu finally? He's really not so bad in The Matrix. And besides, the rest of the film is good enough to make up for a slight annoyance he might introduce.

You might like Equilibrium better. Matrix-like action w/out the presence of Keanu... :lol:

bob82274

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2003, 08:21 pm »
I liked Keanu in the Matrix... :roll:   His general cluelessness made Neo have that confused look around him all the time.  :lol:

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2003, 09:03 pm »
Dumb movie.

Overhyped/overated movie.  Gunkata is a lame idea that doesn't transfer well into the believability realm.

SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Case in point, when he enters a completely darkened room and takes out 10+ people with machine guns blaring all around and he's in the center!  LOL!   Not one bullet nicks him!   :roll:

The movie though, probably does transfer well to HT systems b/c of the action scenes.

bubba966

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2003, 09:53 pm »
I liked Keanu in the Matrix... :roll:   His general cluelessness made Neo have that confused look around him all the time.  :lol:

Bob,

I've got no prob with Keanu in The Matrix. Rob's got the huge problem with him, as such he's not seen it yet.

TCO,

The purpose of this thread was to let Rob, Eric (Woodsea), and Bob know that they should be picking this film up. I'd bet that all three of them will like it a good deal.

But I would be happy to discuss Equilibrium w/you after it's been released so as not to spoil anything for those that haven't seen it.

And yes, it does play quite nicely on HT systems. I'm planning on popping it in again in a few minutes.

:thumb: :uzi:

PeteG

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2003, 04:50 pm »
bubba- Very good movie, I really liked the story line and it
actuality had a good ending.

One question, FOOD did they eat tasteless gray oatmeal  :lol:

-Pete

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2003, 12:25 am »
Pete,

Glad you enjoyed it.

Isn't it a shame that Dimension buried it? It's too bad that no one really saw it.

Quote from: PeteG
One question, FOOD did they eat tasteless gray oatmeal  :lol:

I only saw cornflakes eaten in the movie. Not exactly grey, but pretty tasteless... :wink: :lol:

bob82274

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2003, 07:48 pm »
Well I went to BB today and looked around for it.... no such luck. Just as well, my bank account is pretty empty.  I had checked at the bestbuy website to see if they had it before hand and while they did, the brick and mortor store did not.  I guess I'll just have to order it when my first pay check comes (when ever that is).

Woodsea

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2003, 09:02 pm »
OK, I just picked this up at Blockbuster, will be watching it tonight, after my rugrats are asleep.

bubba966

« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2003, 09:32 pm »
Well I went to BB today and looked around for it.... no such luck.

Bob,

I'd stopped by BB Tuesday to pick up a copy for a friend. They only had 4 copies on the shelf (was in the action section).

Maybe your BB sold out. Check for it again later.