Some comments on Kevins UcD 180 kit.....

Branwell

« on: 19 Jan 2006, 07:50 pm »
Hello,

Given the relative lack of comments regarding the UcD180 Kit Diycable sells, I thought I‘d share my 2 weeks experience with it.

My purpose in getting the kit was to determine if I liked the UcD sound, and the purpose of that was to find better performance for my 3 way active speakers that are currently powered by a 6 channel ATI 1806.

The speakers are sealed WWMTMs that use the 12” Peerless XLS for bass, the Seas W18ex for bass mids, and the Seas Millennium tweeters on top.

The crossover is the DEQX.

Building the kit took about 2 hours and only because I got lost :scratch: wiring the transformer.
For complete idiots like me, better instructions would not go astray. Luckily, there is this forum and help was quick in coming ( Kevin was at CES ). Thanks Gary.

Having it built, I turned it on :peek: and wow. No smoke.

Letting it run for 24 hours, I connected it to the subs in place of 2 ATI channels, let the crossover recalibrate itself, and listened.

Overall, asking a 90 watt amp to power subs with an impedance of 2 ohms might not be all that intelligent :stupid:, and needless to say, the UcD ran for the hills :surrender:

Next up, I inserted the ATI back on the bass and put the UcD on the mids. Again let the crossover recalibrate itself and had a listen.

On the mids, the UcD amp sounded an order of magnitude better then the ATI. :D
The overall resolution and detail are far greater.
The sound stage is better / deeper / sharper / clearer, and instruments simply sound more real. :guitar:
There is also a sense of pace that was not there before that has me listening to more music then I have with virtually every the other mod and upgrade I’ve made to the system.

Thanks Kevin. :notworthy:

While this in no way suggests that the UcD is the greatest thing since sliced bread, it is good enough to me that I just ordered several of the 400AD modules to try on the mids and bass. If that works out, I’ll move the 180s to the tweeters, and run the 400s on the mids. If the 400s are enough for the bass, I get additional 400s or if not, it's 700 time. :drums:

Branwell

kfr01

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2006, 08:05 pm »
My god!  That will be quite the tri-amped system!  

Thanks for posting on the kit.  I am also a newbie when it comes to electronics and posts like yours give me a bit of confidence.  

My hope is to somehow shoehorn a DACT remote attenuator into the case and make myself an integrated.  

Show us pics of your system, if you have any.

Cheers,

Karl

bald

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2006, 01:28 am »
That's the most prolific use of icons in a post I have ever seen. I'm not sure about the amps, but well done Mr. Smiley.

bald

MarkM

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2006, 04:19 am »
Good sign imho, that you are going to invest in the UCD400.   Good drivers and DEXQ, keep us posted.

Can't wait to demo the Exodus UCD400 now.....just about 6 more weeks or so.

Good affordable watts that bring it.....

Kevin Haskins

Re: Some comments on Kevins UcD 180 kit.....
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2006, 01:11 am »
Quote from: Branwell
Hello,

Given the relative lack of comments regarding the UcD180 Kit Diycable sells, I thought I‘d share my 2 weeks experience with it.

My purpose in getting the kit was to determine if I liked the UcD sound, and the purpose of that was to find better performance for my 3 way active speakers that are currently powered by a 6 channel ATI 1806.

The speakers are sealed WWMTMs that use the 12” Peerless XLS for bass, the Seas W18ex for bass mids, and the Seas Millennium tweeters on top.

The crossover ...

The greater current reserves of the UCD400s should do it for you.   Glad they worked out.    Keep us in the loop when you get the 400s built.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2006, 01:14 am »
Quote from: kfr01
My god!  That will be quite the tri-amped system!  

Thanks for posting on the kit.  I am also a newbie when it comes to electronics and posts like yours give me a bit of confidence.  

My hope is to somehow shoehorn a DACT remote attenuator into the case and make myself an integrated.  

Show us pics of your system, if you have any.

Cheers,

Karl

There are a couple people doing this.   I also have remote control boards and 50K Alps motorized pots that would make a nice integrated package.   In fact I have front & rear panels already made for this purpose.

Since your not trying to drive long cables and the input impedance of the UCD is 100K a simple pot with nothing active works well.   Just make sure your source has about 2V out (most CD players are fine) and it should function great.

kfr01

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2006, 01:28 am »
Kevin:

Any advantage to using a 4-deck pot and making the volume control balanced?

I'll be using a Perpetual Tech. P-3A DAC which has a 2.5v out, so I should be covered.

Thanks for your response!

Karl

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2006, 02:08 am »
Good question.... I don't have a good answer.  Your source is single ended so you wouldn't think it would matter where you do the conversion but it seems to.

I've been playing with the adaptor cables Bruno recommends and there is an audible difference between running a single ended source into the chassis via RCAs (conversion at the amplifier input) vs. the adaptor cables which keeps it truely balanced all the way from the source.

I'm going to go back and read the Jensen transformer tech notes some more and see if I can wrap my brain around why.   It may come down to trying both ways on my part, to see if there is an audible benefit.

samplesj

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2006, 03:42 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
There are a couple people doing this.   I also have remote control boards and 50K Alps motorized pots that would make a nice integrated package.   In fact I have front & rear panels already made for this purpose.

Kevin aren't you partnering up with John Chapman from Bent soon (or already)?

If you've got a pair of S&B TX102s on hand you need to try them out as a possible upgrade for the kits.  I'm really happy with my combo and I know there are several people on the DIYAudio forums that use the pairing too.

Using the txs also means you can bypass the input dc blocking cap on the hypex modules safely.

The already ultra quiet ucds get an even darker background and sound ultra clean.