Bipoles vs dipoles

JeffB

Bipoles vs dipoles
« on: 19 Jan 2006, 01:04 am »
I was confused about the difference between bipoles and dipoles.
So I found this post that explains it well assuming that it is correct.
http://hometheaterhifi.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-765.html

With the message traffic lately about the sound of B200 in open baffle(dipole) configuration, I am wondering if a Bipole is the best configuration for a Super 3.

Would it be possible, or make any sense, to reverse the firing direction of the rear-cone in the Super 3 to turn it into a dipole.  Perhaps this does not work because of the cabinet.

I have no idea if the sound would be worse, better, or simply different.
I guess I am curious if Louis has thought about experimenting with this.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Bipoles vs dipoles
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2006, 02:09 am »
Here's Louis' reply to the same question from years ago in reference to his Super 3 BPC speakers:

"The bipole is when the front driver is in phase with the rear driver.  They have a very wide soundstage and tend to disapear in the room. In Bipole the sweet spot in front of the speakers is wider.

The Dipole is when the drivers are out of phase (like an open baffle speaker). Both versions will give a greater soundstage and much wider and deeper than monopoles. The dipoles will have a bit more focus and clarity due to the side cancellations or nulls, but the sweet spot is a bit narrower than the Bipole."

If you'd like lots of dipole theory try Linkwitz: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

From my understanding a bipole would simulate a point source that some say would provide perfect imaging and a dipole simulate open baffle designs (because front and back waves cancel each other out as larger/lower frequency signals meet at the sides/top/bottom of the speaker) interact with the room less, but result in severe bass roll off at lower frequencies (perhaps lower than the Super 3 BPC can play anyway).

BTW Louis confirmed this and added that he preferred bipole (especially if you're not using a sub) as the bass isn't as lean.

Louis O

Bipoles vs dipoles
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:07 am »
Hi Jeffb,

JLM nailed it and his post is correct. The same applies to the new Bipoles. I do like Bipole, as the bass isn’t cancelled out when in Dipole. The new version still gives you the flexibility to change from one to the other as well as go into 1.5 way with an inductor on the rear driver.

Thanks again,
Louis