Harmon Kardon Signature Series 2.0

Dan Driscoll

« on: 17 Jan 2006, 04:42 pm »
Anyone familiar with this pre-pro? I know it's an older model, but my local shop has a used one and I'm thinking it might be a good, but inexpensive upgrade over the Yamaha RX-V596 receiver I'm using as a pre-pro right now. I don't need any video switching.

The13thGryphon

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2006, 07:12 am »
The Harman-Kardon Signature 2.0 is a processor that handles Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic. It has a set of 5.1 inputs, and six composit video, four coaxial digital, two optical digital, and two S-video inputs. Any video input can be linked to any analog or digital audio input.

It will obviously not be able to process the newer formats like Dolby Digital ES and DTS-ES, etc. In other words, it's a 5.1 preamp, not a 7.1 unit. Other possible downsides are the lack of component video inputs, and the fact that the bass management is not as flexible as many of todays units. It does have an AM/FM tuner with RDS (Radio Data Service) built in, for what that's worth. It also came with a learning remote.

In its day it was regarded as a very nice sounding pre/pro and had very good build quality. The HK Signature gear was built in the United States by Madrigal Labs, the division of Harman International that makes Mark Levinson.