Open Question for Empirical Audio and EA supporters.

Gizmo

If you were going to build a system using EA products or EA Mods of existing products, to achieve 2 channel audio nirvana, what would you use?

What is currently the best available set-up for listening to music?

Thanks,

David

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2006, 04:09 pm »
If you can afford his I2s Turbo Off Ramp to his modded Perp Tech P3a DAC, that would be the way to go.

You need to use a computer as your transport.

This is a crazy good digital front end.

As to EA modded amps, pre-amps and speakers, I haven't heard them so I can't comment.

Gizmo

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2006, 05:30 pm »
Marbles,

Thanks for the input.

So the Modded Perp. Tech DAC would get your vote over a Modded Benchmark DAC 1?

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2006, 05:38 pm »
Since I haven't heard the modded Benchmark, I couldn't say, but Steve has posted here that I2s Off Ramp to Perp Tech P3a is the best digital he has heard.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2006, 03:44 am »
I have plans to design a flex-circuit to add I2S to the Benchmark DAC-1.  Just need to upgrade my CAD tools and find the time to do the layout. I have another DAC-1 on the way to do this with.  This should match the performance of the P-3A with the I2S Off-Ramp, but have balanced outs.  Probably a couple of months for availability though.

steve N.

Gizmo

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2006, 03:43 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the update.  I will follow up in March.

David

ZMan

2-Channel
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2006, 09:01 pm »
Gizmo,

I have a Mod Parasound HCA-3500 (500w@4ohms) that Mr. Nugent modded.  There is a great write up on his web site regarding this product.  IMO his work is excellent and the outcome has met my ridiculously high standard (of course I am a out of control Audiophile tweaker).  Being a tube lover, this was my first SS amp.  I was very worried about the sound of the upper mids and treble with an SS amp.  Mr. Nugent's thoughtful redesign and rewire produce a beautiful midrange with full harmonics in the treble.  In other words, treble is not thin, dry, grainy or loaded with 5th order distortion like so many big name amps costing 10G's +.   The interior work completed is neat, well organized an professional in appearence.

I am confident that the purchase of the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks then modded by EA would be an awesome choice.

Z

Gizmo

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2006, 08:37 pm »
Z,

Thanks for the input.  I am a fan of the Parasound line on its own.  I can't imagine how good the modded version must sound.  

I imagine using a computer connected to an I2S off ramp, then into a modded Benchmark, then connected via Balanced interconnects directly into a modded JC-1 would be arguably as good as it gets.

David

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2006, 09:54 pm »
Quote from: Gizmo
Z,

Thanks for the input.  I am a fan of the Parasound line on its own.  I can't imagine how good the modded version must sound.  

I imagine using a computer connected to an I2S off ramp, then into a modded Benchmark, then connected via Balanced interconnects directly into a modded JC-1 would be arguably as good as it gets.

David

Actually, the volume control on the Benchmark is not that good.  You will need a good pre to reach nirvana.

Steve N.

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2006, 12:04 am »
Quote from: audioengr
I have plans to design a flex-circuit to add I2S to the Benchmark DAC-1.  Just need to upgrade my CAD tools and find the time to do the layout. I have another DAC-1 on the way to do this with.  This should match the performance of the P-3A with the I2S Off-Ramp, but have balanced outs.  Probably a couple of months for availability though.

steve N.

Can this Flex-circuit for I2S input be implemented on other DAC's?  The one DAC I would love to see I2S input implemented is the new Lavry Black DA-10 DAC, which sounds very good stock and has a better volume control than Benchmark using discrete resistor networks.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2006, 01:42 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Can this Flex-circuit for I2S input be implemented on other DAC's?  The one DAC I would love to see I2S input implemented is the new Lavry Black DA-10 DAC, which sounds very good stock and has a better volume control than Benchmark using discrete resistor networks.

Jon - Probably not.  The flex-circuit is custom-fit into the Benchmark and relies on the IC's that are used there, however my stock I2S board is designed to be inserted into existing DAC's using twisted-pair wiring.  This is a bit more labor intensive than the flex-circuit, but will yield the same result.  so it is still possible.

What is the price-point on the Lavry Black?

Steve N.

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2006, 02:21 am »
Lavry Black sells for $975 most places.  Lavry Black is supposed to sound the same as the much-respected Lavry Blue Pro  expandable DAC.

My impressions of Lavry Black and Benchmark can be found here midway on the page:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157868&page=3

indirstr8s

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2006, 05:02 pm »
Z,

David

And if you need the remote for controlling the iTunes on your PC. Check out the site...
http://www.sallingsoftware.com/
Here software is avialable for converting your PDA/cellphone into a remote controller for the iTunes. And what a wonderfull remote it is. You can browse your music lib, create playlist, view album cover art etc, all on the remote itself.

audioengr

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2006, 09:42 pm »
Quote from: indirstr8s
Z,

David

And if you need the remote for controlling the iTunes on your PC. Check out the site...
http://www.sallingsoftware.com/
Here software is avialable for converting your PDA/cellphone into a remote controller for the iTunes. And what a wonderfull remote it is. You can browse your music lib, create playlist, view album cover art etc, all on the remote itself.

Great find, thanks.  I will put the link on my website.

Steve N.

indirstr8s

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2006, 07:51 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
Great find, thanks.  I will put the link on my website.

Steve N.

Check out these 2 mac appliations. They run over iTunes and facilitate browsing the music library with album cover art.

1) coverflow: www.steelskies.com/coverflow
2) coverbuddy: www.coverbuddy.com

I specially liked the coverflow. Almost gives you a feeling of a juke box.
Get an iMac G5 with a touch screen and behold a digital juke box.

Sanjay